SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorilei_gw

Best Lawn Tractor

lorilei
14 years ago

Hi All,

My husband and I are looking for an inexpensive lawn tractor. We do want quality, so we don't want to sacrifice quality for price, but it has to fit our budget. We looked at the Simplicity 1838 and the 2244. We have also looked at the Cub Cadet mowers. Which do you think is the best? IF there is another brand that is better, tell us about it.

Thanks,

lorilei

Comments (22)

• metal
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tell us about your lawn and what uses you have for the mower. Do you have steep inclines, will you be using ground engaging equipment, how big an area will you be mowing, etc. It is hard to tell you which mower is better without knowing the intended use.

• lorilei
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have about 2 to 3 acres to mow. For the most part, it is flat. We do have some areas that are unlevel, not hilly, just not level. Any lawn mower we have will be used a lot. We will also use it to pull our cart to hall limbs or mulch, etc.

lorilei

• Related Discussions

'best' riding lawn mower or lawn tractor up to $1000 ?

Q

Comments (63)
    Must of been lucky. Bought an MTD at Ace hardware (Ace Special Edition) with a 42" cut and 16hp Tecumseh. Aside from the normal problems of your MTD of that era IE having the grille mounts break off after a few years) it's been great, and it was only replaced as it was really starting to not work well on hills, and in the last year has been a case of "What's going to break next when I mow?". A key to remember is any NEW tractor in that range is going to be light duty. If you have more an acre to mow with it, a newer, higher end, used model is a probably a better option. You'll get a lot of life out of one though if you keep it well maintained. Take care of it and there is no reason why you should not get a good, usable life of about 10-12 years. one other thing to keep in mind; the chief complaints of many people on a mower it seems is the motor. That is the most important part of a mower besides the transmission on a Hydro equipped tractor. The engine is going to what will go wrong 9 time out of 10 on a mower, and is often going to be to blame for issues with cutting (due to lack of power) and reliability.
    ...See More

Best lawn tractor for around $1000 ?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks to Deerslayer for linking me to that older post- a lot of good info there. So now I'm thinking more about a better quality USED machine. How about a short list of tractors that I should be looking for. Everyone seems to love old JD's, Wheelhorse, and cub cadets. Lastly, when buying one of these used machines what should I be looking for for problem areas? Are the newer $1600 JD machines no good?
    ...See More

JD tractor parts-lawn tractors:

Q

Comments (4)
    rustyj14, Here you go... click here for JD dealer who ships  and has good prices and GREAT service. Call 'em up they'll take good care of you. As far as your local JD dealer situation, it could be worse. Here JD killed of the Mom and Pop LT-GT JD dealership and gave it to the uber JD dealer who sells the big green and yellow and the even bigger yellow stuff. They couldn't care less about L&G and stock little in the way of L&G parts. They charge retail plus for stock parts and charge retail plus and add inflated shipping charges on everything they order for you. All we can do is remember the treatment we don't like and vote with our wallets next time.
    ...See More

Comparison: CCi1050 vs. JD x304

Q

Comments (3)
    i have a recently purchased x304. i am extremely happy with it. i am still amazed at how buttery smooth the kawa runs. and extremely quiet. i am comparing to my subjective opinion against the craftsman and jd la140 i tested. i don't have much use for the 4ws. although it is fun. it wasn't a necessary option for me. it's still not tight enought that you can 180 directly between runs without bowing out in a circle. i feel the quality of cut is superb, very comfortable, easy to use. nice pedal set up with a more refined look compared to other tractors. does really well on slopes, but this is without pulling anything. i don't haul anything as of yet. and most of all a great looking tractor.
    ...See More
  • metal
    14 years ago

With that size lawn I would go with the largest deck you can get. For $3-400 more you could go with the 2450. Simplicity makes very good mowers and has excellent cut quality. If you have a good dealer nearby I would say go with them.

• tomhoffman
    14 years ago

If you want quality, you might want to think about a mower that is rated in the 1000's of hours in stead of 100's of hours.

Most of the currently available mowers from Retail Stores are in the 100's of hours. Just being analytical, a 100's of hour mower for $3000 for instance will last an averge life of 300-400 hours more or less. A commercial mower for $5000-8000 will typically last 2000-3000 hours of hard commercial use more or less.

price - performance - long life = pick two, you can't get QUALITY for low price, no matter how hard you try.

How often do you want to go thru this exercise? I learned the hard way, I spent $1450 in 1993 and got rid of the mower as junk 4 years later. Motor was good, just the tractor disolved around the engine.

My second mower bought in early spring 1999 cost $7000 and still have it today and it functions and looks like new.

Bite the bullet now and buy real quality, you will not be sorry.

• nysff
    14 years ago

I assume you are considering the Regent when you say Simplicity 18/38, 22/44. Have you looked at the JD X300 series? Regent has a Courage or an Intek, JD you get the Kawasaki and both units have the same K46 hydro. 18/38 Regent is below the X300 price range, but a 38" deck seems small for 2-3 acres. Are you considering used units? I just purchased a used Deere GT series and in the $2k-3K range you're looking at premium engines - Vanguard, Command, Kawasaki and garden tractor hydros.

• zoulas
    14 years ago

I agree with tomhoffman, the cost of underbuying is greater than the cost of overbuying. In the store they kind of all look the same and its real easy to conclude 'lets get the less expensive one'. Don't forget, the cheap stuff today is far inferior to the cheap stuff from 10 years ago. You have a fairly big property. Personally, I would start your search at $3000 and go up.

• ramse
    14 years ago

I would recommend Simplicity if you are looking for cut quality.

My Simplicity Broadmoor is now 12 years old. I think I will be sticking with the brand because of the quality of the cut; although JD is very popular where I live.

Except for normal oil/grease/filter changes and deck maintenance, it has been trouble free. I have a smaller lawn but I'm going to move up from 38 inch to either 42 or 48...nothing wider than that.

• john_wa
    14 years ago

You've got lots of advice on brands to look at already so I won't get into that argument other than to say that not everyone can afford 7k for a mower. As someone else pointed out, buying a good used tractor can save you money too. I have about the same size property as you (I have 2-3/4 acres) and almost all of it is mowed. I would advise that you look at nothing smaller than a 48" deck. Mine has a 54" deck and I can mow my entire yard in about 2-1/2 hours and I have some fairly steep hills and lots of obstacles to mow around.

• njdpo
    14 years ago

my two cents as well...

My first "lawn tractor" I ended up buying wasn't quite suitable for the hard work ahead of me - but I was on a tight budget and I needed to make a move at my new/old home... I decided to purchase a used Scotts/John Deere which I had to put some minor work/money into (tires/tubes/solenoid) and it treated me very well... I miss that machine - it was very smooth. But I could only mow the lawn and pull light loads with it - no plow blades, etc).

But I needed more of a garden tractor (a tougher machine), yet still I was on a tight budget... (what to do)...

My requirements were : bagger system, built well, plenty of attachments such as plow blades, log splitter, wood chipper, etc.

I ended up waiting and looking for many months at many machines which might qualify for ALL my needs. I finally purchased a Ingersoll/Case machine with a nice bagger system - I am very pleased ...

I still need to buy a plow blade for it - but I can say that I dont regret the wait for buying a nicely preserved used machine.

I paid less than 2k for a machine that is as sturdy as they get and I didnt pay nearly full price for it (estimated to be 7k with the bagger).

The message im trying to relay to you is that if you can identify a machine that you think suits your needs - and if your willing to wait for a nice used one - then eventually it will come along.

I would also say - that If I had the room I would have purchased a second WORK tractor and would have kept the scott's for the lawn. But I dont have enough room for a collection of machines.

If you have the room you may wish to consider this avenue - as no matter how reliable a machine is - there's nothing like a contingency machine for those inconvenient moments.

My message to you is that if you have the time and the knowledge theres always a good deal on a good used machine needing a new home. While your looking - take the time to record the things you liked in each machine and this will ultimately end up in an expensive new machine which you may (or may not) be able to afford.

REGARDING:
    -------------
    Don't forget, the cheap stuff today is far inferior to the cheap stuff from 10 years ago.

I ended up in Lowes today - and my son was climbing all over the machines on display. Which gave me time to compare my purchase to the current offerings. I can say I couldnt agree more with the statement above. These current machines can not compare to my find (not even in price - if you buy the bagger). (let the flame wars begin !!! I still have the best tractor in the hood !)

And finally - If you do look for a stout used machine - go into the purchase knowing that there is maintenance which must be performed on it (perhaps sooner than later) - regardless of its price or condition. (and this applies to new equipment as well). The possibility of needing new tires/solenoids/starter, etc. is very real, so it is important that you know where your going to be getting your parts from when the time comes (and it will come).

Question - May I ask what state your in ? If you happen to live in the NJ/PA area - I know where some nice Ingersolls are hidden away.

Also dont forget to ask lots of questions to this group. There's a metric ton of valuable information and experience that this group can offer.

Best wishes to you in your search - Dave

• johntommybob
    14 years ago

Here's the deal. If money is no object buy a machine, Simplicity or Deere, that costs $5 to $7 thousand dollars. Personally I would avoid Cub Cadet, but that's just me.

If money is of concern buy a used machine, Simplicity or Deere, that cost $5 to $7 thousand dollars when new, that still looks like new, and try to pay half the new price for it (this is the best way to go if you can find the machine).

You will spend a lot of time in that seat. Try to find a mower that will make the experience as pleasant as possible.

• crouch
    14 years ago

Same question but a different set of circumstances.

I have 1/3 acre mowing surface and am getting tired of mowing for an hour and a half or more every five days using my 22" walk behind.

I have a standard lawn in NJ with a few big areas and a few smaller areas but nothing too intricate or too much of an incline. I wouldn't plan on using the tractor for anything other than mowing the grass and perhaps mulching some leaves in the fall. Storage space is a consideration. I don't have a shed so this tractor would need to be stuffed into my garage or kept outside somehow, so the smaller the better.

Is there an entry level mower that those on this board would recommend? I see a few Craftsman models for right around $1000 (for example, Craftsman LTS 1500 17.5 HP/42" Lawn Tractor) - are they all junk or should they serve my purpose?

• bill7
    14 years ago

Crouch:

Maybe start a new thread on this topic, although I am sure it has been discussed before. In you case, I'd go entry level at a DEALER, if only for later service issues. The problem with Sears, Lowes, etc. is service.

Lorilei:

As you stated, you want a quality lawn tractor. If you still want relatively inexpensive, then, as mentioned by others, you will have to used. Talk to people and find out which are the trustworthy dealers in your area. Go with a good used that is in good condition, and for which you have a good service center.

• larso1
    14 years ago

Crouch, sounds like the Snapper rear-engine rider would be a real good fit for you. Not only is it well built with a solid reputation for reliability, and would probably last you for many years, but it has the stand-on-end storage feature for you limited garage space. Up to 17.5HP and 33-in. deck.
    The price won't kill you either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapper Rear Engine Rider

• johntommybob
    14 years ago

Crouch,

I agree on the rear-engine Snapper. Talk about a proven design. That and it will pull a cart if you need one.

• grasscutterderrick
    14 years ago

I would stay away from CubCadet today. When they were made by International Harvister they were great! But now they are made by MTD and the quality isn't very good. With the grass you will be cutting and what you will be doing I would recommend at John Deere X540. They are well built machines and will last a very long time. The X540 has power steering to make turning easier and they have liquid cooled engines. They cost about $7,600 for one with a 54 inch deck but it would be worth it! If you have a local lawn mower place (not Lowes or Home Depot) go a look. Speak to someone that works there and tell them what you have and that you want something that will last. I know you said you are on a tight budget but with that size lawn don't skimp. If you bought a $2,000 machine it would only last you for two or three years. Go bigger and better. They can get really expensive but they are made to take it. Oh and one last word, stay away from the 100 series John Deere tractors, they are cheap, budget built machines and won't last very long.

• kompressor
    14 years ago

The words "inexpensive" and "quality" don't go hand-in-hand but I do understand where you're coming from. You have X number of dollars that you want to spend, at this point in your life, so you are trying to get a machine that will give you the best bang for your buck.

Simplicity is well known for making a pretty sturdy machine so if you like the Regent, then choose the one with the larger deck. Personally, I think that you'd be better off with a 54" deck but if seat time isn't a big issue, then the 44" will work....even when there's 2 to 3 acres to mow. After all, no one says you have to cut the front and the back on the same day.

The secret to getting longevity from any piece of machinery is maintenance. If you neglect it, you will pay the price. If you change oil and filters at the correct intervals and look after the machine really well, then there's no real reason why you can't get a good ten years out of the Regent.

I can't see you putting more than 100 hours per year on this machine and the non-commercial engines have a life expectancy of at least 1000 hours. It's easy for some to advise you to spend more than five grand for a mower when it isn't their money being spent. I don't disagree with the concept that a true garden tractor will outlast a lawn tractor but when there's only so much money to go around, then you have to draw the line somewhere.

Eight to ten years from now, your financial situation may be vastly improved and you can move up at that point if you feel the need. Right now, either the Regent or the X-300 would be good choices.

• carl-in-nh
    14 years ago

lorilei:

I have about 2 acres, with some steep areas, some soggy areas, plus lots of obstacles (rocks, trees, lawn features, etc).

I received a used 1990 Craftsman 12 hp in 2002. I loved it, especially compared to doing the same lawn with a walk-behind. (turned an all day job into a couple hours)

I definitely would not hesitate to recommend looking at Craftsman. (Be sure you know what features indicate the better quality Craftsman models, however: eg engine and transmission make/model, axle type, frame strength, etc)

Just this year I bought a used 2008 (i.e. almost new, broken in) Husqvarna 2346, for $2200 including bagging (its summer job) and snowplowing (its winter job) attachments. It has a 23 HP Vanguard engine with K46 tranny. The new price was approx $3800.

This used Husqvarna is working out extremely well, and that suggests a good option to trying to get quality for a low price by paying for an "inexpensive" new tractor, is to scour the usual sites (Craigslist, eBay) for a better quality used tractor.

There are a lot of good deals out there.

(The 1990 Craftsman is still alive and doing well: I gave it to my brother and now he loves it, too -- and his yard is even more challenging than mine)

• wrager
    14 years ago

Juat a quick point of refernce:
    I bought a 1-year old JD X300 (42" deck) for $2300 with 40 hours on the clock.

• john_wa
    14 years ago

You might also check your local dealers when looking at used equipment as most of them take used tractors as trade-ins, though early spring is when they have more of them. I was at my JD dealers place a week ago buying oil and a filter and saw a 2005 LT-160 with 75 hours on it for $1,495. The LT160 was the predecessor to the X300 series mowers.

• bckskin2
    14 years ago

Local New Holland dealer often has used garden tractors that people trade in on Boomers. He doesn't keep them long so I assume he prices them to sell quick. Do you need to push snow? We have a Husquvarna GTH 2548 and push a lot of snow, drag a harrow, pull a cart, and mow any place our New Holland won't fit.

• njdpo
    14 years ago

Here is the BEST GARDEN TRACTOR (let the flame wars begin !!)

I bought a Case/Ingersoll 444 which is built like a Sherman tank. The machine is one of the most stout garden tractors Ive ever seen.

Roughly speaking there are two models to compare when searching for your new pride and joy. The 200 and the 400 series both machines are essentially the same except for the tire sizes and related frame components which make for a lower riding machine. (same machine - just different height).

THE BAD NEWS - these machines are over-the-top expensive when new.
    THE GOOD NEWS - attachments are never ending (tillers, chippers, log splitters, plow blades, etc.). and the used ones can be had for pretty cheap.

If you look at the case/ingersoll I would suggest you start by searching for : (case 222, case 224, case 226, case 228 -or- Ingersoll 3012/3014/16)

What'd I pay ? I bought a Ingersoll 444 in great condition (14 HP) with a hydraulic bagger system for $1800. ( When I bought mine - i got the old car for free - so I feel like I got a pretty good deal. ) If you dont need a bagger and settle on the lower 222 type machine you could end up finding a machine in the 600-900 dollar range which you can "will" to your grandchildren when you die!

I read the suggestions from the other group members - and I couldn't resist. ( i think this is a bit like the ford guy Vs the Mopar guy Vs. the chevy guy).

Attached Photo (i hope i got this right) : {{gwi:331436}}

other photos:
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/njdpo/ing444/

Best wishes with your decision! Enjoy the ride!

• larso1
    14 years ago

njdpo said: "I couldn't resist. ( i think this is a bit like the ford guy Vs the Mopar guy Vs. the chevy guy)."

Wouldn't that be more like the Ford guy vs the Fiat guy vs the Government guy? Sorry, I couldn't resit either, haha:^)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions