SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myeolchi

why isn't my ground cover spreading?

myeolchi
9 years ago

Hello, please assume I don't know much about gardening; however, I do know how to research.

I have a patch of garden in my yard that nothing has grown in for years - until this spring it was covered in river rocks, but weeds seemed to do okay in the soil. :P I decided to plant some ground cover. Thyme on the sunny end, and Scottish moss on the other side where a tree shades it for part of the day.

I bought sprouted plants in May and mixed in some new gardening soil, since I suspect the soil there is going to need some time and compost before it's really nutritious again. I planted them according to the tag (they came from a local nursery) and the great news is that they're still alive a month later. But they're both the same size as they were when I transplanted them.

It's very possible that I made an elementary mistake, but I'm not sure what that is. I'm used to transplanting annual flowers into proven soil, but I want a nice ground cover so I wanted to see if I could keep the thyme and/or the moss alive. How long does it usually take them to spread?

Comments (8)