SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idixierose

How to save this rose?

idixierose
9 years ago

I would really appreciate recommendations for how to save a struggling rose bush.

Here's my situation:

I relocated a vintage HT back in January. It's 14 years old and has never been a vigorous bush. It has just one main cane.
When we moved it, we trimmed the top back, but left the main cane about 4' long.

The bush sprouted new leaves and a couple of blooms on top and even developed two new branches on the lowest part of the main cane. Then about two weeks ago, the upper part of the bush began yellowing and dying back.

Today I took cuttings from the two bloom stems, then I started cutting the bush back a little at a time.

When I cut into the main cane, I could see that half of the cane was dead and half was alive.
I kept lopping back a few inches at a time, hoping to reach all healthy wood.

But nooooo -- the cane is now 6" high stump. Half good, half dead. There's one stem of new growth growing from the old cane.

Do I have a prayer of saving this bush? I have it in a place where I can keep an eye on it. I doctor it every other day with Super Thrive and seaweed, it got Mykos & compost in the planting hole, plus leaf mould mulch.

This HT lived on an arch at the entrance to our rose garden. Last year it lost 2 branches, then in January, I noticed die back on the side of the main cane. I decided to relocate the rose because anything growing on the arch has to look super good.

The rose is a sentimental favorite -- I grew it from a cutting back in 2002. It appears to be a HT, but it only developed one long, lanky cane, so I trained it onto an arch. The one cane branched and covered the top and side of the arch.

Now I'm thinking I should have pruned that lanky cane a long time ago and maybe it would have bushed out instead of growing like a semi-climber.

Comments (3)