SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

JD LA120 in the house - noob's first reactions

herus
16 years ago

Thanks to some extremely positive feedback from LA series owners and the overall encouragement for the JD brand, I took the plunge and had delivered today an LA120.

I'd like to post a few impressions if I may, hoping other newbies might benefit. I know most of the members here are grizzled veterans of the tractor wars, but this is the first time I have set butt on a lawn tractor that was moving, except for about 3 minutes on my neighbor's Husky ZTR.

Well, this is a very different feel from the ZTR, and I might admit that the ZTR feels a bit more fun... a tractor feels more like work.

But work is what we're here for, so let me get going...

Although prepped by a dealer (purchased from HD mainly to use a rather large gift cert I might never use otherwise), I found, or at least I think I did, that the deck wasn't level so finished doing that. I have bermuda up front and some hybrid in back that doesn't look too different but is. Set my original height for 2.5" but found the front did better with 2, but 2.5 for the back. The deck rollers were set for the lowest cut so had to adjust those as well.

Had purchased a single-bar bumper beforehand and installing that was a b*tch... without my daughter helping me with her small hands, it might have been impossible. But then I am not very mechanical and my tools arsenal is limited.

Some may recall my concern about slopes. Well, I am happy to report that, after some initial trepidation, I was traversing ALL the hills with no trouble. I did push the envelope at one point where I had to tackle a small downhill piece (about 10 ft) semi-sideways. I steered quickly out of it but don't know how close I really got. I might have to get the push mower out for that next time.

Likes: engine not as loud as I thought it would be, though engaging of course drives up the db level. Fairly smooth and predictable. Good looking cut using standard blades to mulch; I plan to get Gators soon. Turning radius better than anticipated. Loverly paint... I think it's green and yellow. ;-)

Dislikes: not as speedy as I expected. Bit of lower back pain after about an hour (for just 2/3 acre!) of machine time, but I think this was partly due to my tense position, which should relax with familiarity.

That's all for now. Hope I haven't bored you but wanted to acknowledge the great support this forum provides and how much I appreciate the jump-in-and-help attitude shown by most.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths