SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlmeals

Transplanting Roses

rlmeals
12 years ago

So I should have researched this before I did it, but I didn't, so now I just need to know if I can fix it! I had a rose bush whose roots were getting tangled up with the stump of a mimosa tree. We're trying to remove the mimosa tree, so I was trying to free up the rose roots from it. I managed to do that, but part of the root broke off. There is still a quite substantial amount of root left.

The thing is, I was trying to save the rose so it wouldn't get destroyed when we removed the mimosa, because they belonged to my husband's grandmother, and my FIL said I couldn't kill it. As soon as I got it out of the ground, I moved it to another site I had prepared by digging a deep enough hole, and then I covered it with dirt and poured water with epsom salt over the new site.

Now the rose bush looks like it's dying. All the leaves and petals have withered. They look like a dozen roses when the water in the vase dries up and they start to turn brown and brittle.

I'm sure now that I did this incorrectly, there is no question about that. The question now, is can I fix this? Is it just transplant shock, or something like that? Or have my good intentions backfired?

Thanks for any advice.

PS: I tried to search the forum before I posted this, but when I clicked the link it said "page could not be found." I'm not sure if it's my computer or your website, but I DID try!!! So sorry if the question has been answered, I couldn't use the search feature.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths