SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bubbabubbs

Planting Honey Locust next to old spruce stump

10 years ago

I would like to plant a young honey locust tree (Sunburst or Shademaster � about 10ft tall; fresh from my local nursery) in a spot that is close to an old silver sprice stump.
I had the spruce tree removed in 2012, when it was about 25-ft tall.

I just want to make sure there will be no major issues that would inhibit the honey locust's growth.

Please see the the attached pic - I want to plant the honey locust in the spot marked with the red X. The spruce stump is right behind it - about 3 feet behind it, and it's about 16 in in diameter.

The reason I've picked this particular spot is that it's right next to my driveway/garage (but not too close to the structure), and I'm hoping that, as the tree grows, it will provide some nice shade to this area that gets beaten by the hot summer sun.

Another thing that I like about this spot is that it's downstream from the rain spout � marked with the green circle in the pic. So the tree would be getting a lot of moisture.

I am aware that this little area, as you can see in the pic, still looks like crap, especially with the spruce stump still in there. I'm not too concerend about these esthetics, as long as the honey locust takes in.

The stump, and it's root system, should gradually disintegrate over time, and I can deal with that. I just want to make sure the the spruce dead stump/root chemistry, acidity, whatever, will not inhibit the young honey locust's growth. And, I know that digging a hole righ next to the stump might be rough � we'll see how that goes.

Thanks!

Comments (7)