SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

Honey Locust is leaning

jamiedolan
12 years ago

{{gwi:372900}}

*Note: It does NOT feel weak, lose, etc. It feels like it the right hardness / strength for a tree this size, it does not just flop back and forth, it just leans in the one direction.

It looks really quite straight when I planted it 2 years ago. I think the tree is actually growing like this, as opposed to it having shifted position in the ground -- i.e. It's pretty close to plumb near the ground and progressively gets more of a curve as you go up.

So I see a tree like this, my first though is that it is being heavily shaded and it is growing towards the strongest light source.

If you look at the photo below, you will see it should have lot of light from all directions, with the only limiting direction being North where the birch tree is, and I wouldn't expect that to be much of an issue. But it is leaning to the west.

{{gwi:372901}}

I'm a bit curious why it might be doing this. The branch distribution seems pretty even, perhaps a little heavier to the east side if anything (the side it is leaning away from. It is growing rapidly this year and appears robustly healthy.

My though is that I'm going to need to drive in a steak on the east side and tie it up to try and pull it back, and watch that the strap / rope I use doesn't dig / grow into the tree at all. I'm hoping that it will be able to straighten out with just being tie up this season, then continue growing straight up in the future?

Sound okay?

Thanks,

Jamie

Comments (9)