SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedbandito

Favorite Christmas memories......(image intensive)

seedbandito
18 years ago

As a child, (and even as an adult) I was always closet to my father. He was such a kind and gentle, loving soul. Never had an ugly word to say about anyone.

Every Christmas, my folks would make a ton of fudge of 100's of popcorn balls. Dad was into model railroading. So every Christmas, he'd put up a 4' x 16' platform under the tree. I would help him lay down the green "grass" paper and lay the track.

Then after us girls were shipped off the bed, he worked feverishly through the night assembling toys and finishing up the train set. He'd put out all the little houses, people, matchbox cars, trees (which were weeds painted green), street light and traffic lights... the list goes on. He'd even string all the telephone poles with thread to make them look real.

I don't have any images of dad's train set, so here's some of mine... Sorry I didn't downsize them, this way you can see the detail...

{{gwi:335645}}
{{gwi:335647}}
{{gwi:335649}}
{{gwi:335650}}
{{gwi:335651}}
Here's a shot using existing light with the shutter wide open:

{{gwi:335652}}

And here's my daddy:

{{gwi:335653}}

I haven't been able to bring myself to put up the train set since my father passed away. It's just not the same with out him. I'm thinking maybe next year I may put it up so my new family can see it. DH will not believe it.

I even have teenie tiny fire hydrants, trash cans and telephone booths!!!

I never really appreciated how much time and work went into it until I did it myself. I don't know how that man did it in one night... it took me nearly a week to put it all up.

I had 2 trains and a trolly car. Dad was running a big 'ol American Flyer train that huffed smoke and had a whistle. Gosh how I miss the sound of the whistle!

I just wanted to share my Christmas' past. Hope all your Christmas' are happy and safe! Merry Christmas every one!

Merry Christmas Daddy!!! I love you!

Nancy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals