SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheaviance1

Composting horse manure

sheaviance1
13 years ago

Good morning!

I have had a manure pile composting since early March. It is a very large pile, and I haven't had any trouble with it so far. I have never composted manure before. It has shrunk to about a third of what I started out with, it's darkened to a brown/black. it smells earthy and looks like finished compost. The last time I turned it before vacation, I "leveled" out the top of the pile because I thought it was getting close to being done. I took the temperature after we got back off of vacation, and it was about 5 degrees above air temperature. I turned it one more time for good measure, and "piled it back up". This darn thing is heating again. The temperature is hovering right at 100 degrees. Argh! I have a very large garden. My intention was to use this composted manure in my garden. I have been doing some reading about using manures, and have come across several articles that state you can use aged or composted manure directly in the garden, and that fresh manure, if used, should be used sparingly and never touch the plants. I am probably just being impatient, but I just have to know if using this in my garden now would harm my plants. Prior to piling this back up the last time, my temps had completed a slow and steady fall and was hovering at about 5 degrees above air temperature. I almost suspect that when I turned it the last time, I must have gotten some in the center of the pile that had never taken a turn there (don't know how I missed that). My DH is insisting that it is okay to use now, but I don't want to take any chances of all of our hard work being damaged by my impatience. I would love your opinions.

Thank you,

Norma

Comments (4)