SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enikolich_gw

Briggs Twin Troubleshooting

enikolich
15 years ago

Hi all. Have been sifting through old posts looking for my answer, but still have some more questions before I decide to run my mower over with my old tractor.

I have a 1984 Briggs twin - 400707. Got it a few years ago from a neighbor who had let it sit for a long time. Cleaned up the carb, new plugs, fresh oil and I was on my way. I cut about two acres a week with it. It started acting funny and would only run with the choke pulled out a bit. No big deal I thought, so I redid the carb, new throttle shaft bushing and all.

Put back together, ran like a dream for about thirty minutes and started hunting and surging and barely idling. Push back to carport and started tinkering. Found a loose head bolt. Ha! Took both heads off, cleaned all carbon from piston top and valves and heads. Also found four pecan shells lodged in the cooling fins. Put back together and again ran like a damn champ for about fifteen minutes!

So, I'm guessing its either the valves or coil. Before I start throwing new parts into the thing, I'd like some advice on logical troubleshooting steps. What to check first? Compression first? Spark first? Could the heads just be warped from the loose bolt and when its heats up it allows too much air in?

There is also monster sized hole in muffler now due to rust. Intend on replacing, but thought I should mention in case back pressure is an issue?

I have never adjusted the valves on this motor because I understand its fairly involved and actually have to grind material off if clearnace is too tight and pretty well screwed if too much clearance?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions