SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mowtor

18hp Briggs twin back pressure issue

mowtor
12 years ago

I have a Briggs 422707 0133 01 18hp model, purchased from ebay long time back that I have been trying to restore, and finally got it put back together after a carb rebuild, new head gaskets, and starter overhaul (rusted bearings)

It's cranking now via the starter (not starting), and has spark (small but there) yet it is not getting fuel it would seem into the intake. If I put my finger into the hole on the choke plate while cranking, it's in and out pressure wise, and if I open up the choke plate all the way, on the back out, out comes a fuel mist, the wrong direction.

Occurred to me could be two things, valve problem, or I have the pump and fuel feed lines crossed. I have the fuel feed line coming in from left onto that nipple, and pressure from crankcase coming in from below bottom onto that one. The thing was on the bench so long, I can't remember how it was originally. But looked at a YouTube and seems the fuel is the one on the left middle? (3 screw fuel pump).

This is a vertical twin, single screw air filter.

When I was changing the head gasket and turning the engine through, I recall a weirdness that I didn't think was correct where both valves were slightly open during one stroke (penny thickness worth). Not sure what could cause that or if it was some interim stroke usual. Either way the back pressure coming out of the carb seems to be preventing the intake of the fuel into engine. Motor is turning clockwise looking from above.

I recall before even doing the head gaskets or anything that if I put a gatorade cap on top of the carburetor (air filter off) to seal that, that when turning the engine through, it would lift up on one stroke and I'd hear an exhale through the carb...again, that didn't seem right. Any tips or solutions? Is this normal and the engine is just not getting primed or something? When I remove the plugs, they are not gas covered, and there's not really a big gas smell there either. Have tried starting fluid too, but I think there's not a consistent directional vacuum maybe, that's the problem?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions