SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

'Best' choice

rjinga
15 years ago

1. "FREE" Fairgrounds/Ag Center composted greens/manure materials. Unlimited quantities, well composted, no odor, they load for you, I left some sit for about 6 months and it was pretty nice looking, 30 miles worth of gas ($8) per load.

2. City Compost site, all green, no manure added, 02cents per pound (equals about $40 for 2 truck loads, small truck, plus gas to get it). Deep black, somewhat woody material, bigger pieces than the "FREE" stuff above.

3. FREE from local horse farm, BIG pile of pooh, from horse stalls, LOTS of sawdust, straw and apples. YOU have to load yourself, very close to home.

4. Goat Manure (1 year old, supposedly well composted) $50 a yard (one small truck load? and probably 30 miles away.

oK guess I better mention what I'll be doing with it.

1. Cover for my tomatoe beds, this area has been lasagne layered and it's all but gone, I'll cover the exposed ground with newspaper and then top with grass clippings as they start to become available and maybe some of the above?

2. Mix for raised beds, will use a combo of ingredients including perlite

3. Flower beds, top dressing

4. Garden spot, will use as part of ongoing lasagne layering after season is done to get ready for winter planting or next spring.

Comments (6)