SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Need a Bulllet-Proof way to Propagate Cuttings from NOID Rose

eahamel
10 years ago

I stopped at an estate sale in my neighborhood today. The only reason I stopped was that I knew the man who lived in the house slightly. His son confirmed my fears: his 85 year old dad had passed away.

I spotted a white rose with some pinkish spots (more like indistinct smears) here and there on some of the blooms, not a lot on any of them; it has maybe 40-50 petals, petals recurved or reflexed, if that's the right way to describe it. Other than that I can't ID it, on its own roots, obviously an old plant. It's about 2-1/2' tall, but is against the east side of the house, getting maybe half day sun, and would probably be larger in full sun. I asked if I could buy it. He declined, saying he was going to move it to his house as a memory of his father. Understand that! He had no idea how old the plant was, or what it was, and told me his parents had bought it many years ago. He did say I could make cuttings, though, and I'm going back over there tomorrow to do that.

This is a rose I've never seen before, and like it, and want to know how I can best root the cuttings. It would be a shame not to have this one. My success with rooting cuttings is about 2 or 3%. Out of many that I've tried, I've succeeded with Old Blush and Carefree Beauty and one other one, a polyantha, I think.

Comments (23)