SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shimla81

Poison Ivy

shimla
16 years ago

I'm trying to rid poison ivy off of my property which keeps creeping in from the property next door. The neighbor is against chemicals so I was looking for a natural solution. I just want to do a one time treatment if possible and I found a recipe to do this. It's a mixture of salt, vinegar and a liquid detergent which I'm really leaning toward using. Has anyone tried this solution and had good results with it? I found a blurb that said the salt could be toxic. Is that really so? There are some trees in the area that I need to treat. Would the salt kill them?

I've been treating my property with brush killer which I hate. I don't want to have to suit up every year to spray. The spray works great but I have to do it repeatedly because the ivy keeps coming over. The toads live out there and I know I'm killing them :( I tried last year to just paint the plants but it's a never ending battle. I'm never going to be able to plant in the area because of it. As careful as I am, I get the dreaded rash every year. I'm quite often barefooted in the yard and have to be careful where I step. I tried putting in a barrier last year (a fence runs down the line) but it's riddled with tree roots and I can't dig down to bury it. It's a huge line, about 60-75 feet that the ivy pops up from.

Any feedback?

Comments (16)

Sponsored