SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalpatsy

How fast is a mole?

petalpatsy
15 years ago

Mercy! My hands are still shaking! I'm kinda a wimp, and I know I have a mole--he went around my house right at the foundation and left a neat little tilled trail. I bought a mole trap, but I decided against it. Eh, I've got big beds, a big compost pile, all organic. A trowel full of soil pulls out a half dozen worms--plenty to spare, and hey, a mole is aerating my soil.

Since I'm crazy, I was out, at midnight, extending my daylily bed. I'd put it under straw all winter so I was moving that and lightly forking the surface. I was sitting, working at the very edge of my backyard floodlights.

The ground moved. I put it down to my insomniac mind, and wondered if I needed to tell a psychiatrist about it. The second time I watched the ground throb, my mind clicked(snapped?) and...I panicked. I leapt up and stabbed the ground twenty times. Then I fled. It's really too much adrenaline and sudden exercise for a woman my age and weight. :)

Tomorrow...I'll have to go back out there. Will I likely find a mutilated mole? Do you think it would have had time to run away in the two seconds between the leap and the attack?

Comments (9)