SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

flower performance of rodgersia

Kato and mxk3's comments on the front porch rodgersia flowers made me think about how their performance varies in my garden. This morning I took some pictures....

The showiest is, without a doubt, the ones in the front porch bed. The flower hanging over the driveway is ~18" long and an almost perfect cone! The flowers last for quite a long time and the seeds are initially green and attractive too. I usually don't cut off the flowerstalk until the seeds turn brown sometime in late July. These rodgersias face east and get full sun from sunrise until noon and then full shade (from the house) the rest of the day. The soil is awful, heavy clay and watering is erratic as the bed is under the roof overhang so doesn't get rained on much and we frequently forget to water that bed! The rodgersias are about 10 years old.
{{gwi:239693}}

There is also a younger rodgersia in the front in a bed along the east side of the garage. But the bed also has a Viburnum opulus and several large hydrangeas, so the rodgersia is in constant shade from those as well as from the plantings in the main front bed across a grass path. The rodgersia is quite small and I don't ever remember it blooming!
{{gwi:239694}}

In the backyard, the best flowering one at the moment is one under the oak, on the south side. It gets a fair bit of morning sun - as you can see in the picture below - but the bed is full of other plantings so the flowers get lost against them, resulting in a less showy impact than in the front porch situation.
{{gwi:239695}}

The rodgersias in the north alley take a backseat to the astilboides! That area is shaded in morning but does get some sun in the afternoon. The rodgersia usually flowers - but later and with smaller flowers. There is no sign of flowers yet, although the astilboides has put up one flowerstalk so far.
{{gwi:239697}}

I used to get a decent bloom from some rodgersias under the pines, in the area where I was working on creating a 'golden path' . I moved the rodgersias to a nearby area - they have survived - and one is returning in the original location from roots we missed, but I doubt they will do anything this year! The 'golden path' is likely not going to succeed as the 'Verdoni' false cypress died completely; the 'Golden Dream' boxwood looks dead too but the branches are still flexible so I'm waiting to see if any of it survives...; our little poodle has decided that the golden forestgrass is dog-candy so there's very little of that left!; the golden 'Full Moon' Japanese maple survived but took a bad hit from the winter; the 'Sum and Substance' hostas are doing OK, as are the two bright green dogwoods, so I'll see what happens there this summer. The rodgersias may end up reclaiming this spot!

The underlying soil in the backyard is also heavy clay - but it also has a 13 year accumulation of leaves and other 'forest' organic matter so is now in reasonable shape.

Where do your rodgersias grow and flower best?

Comments (17)