SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariana6b

Can my gladiolas be saved?

mariana6b
9 years ago

I have a patch of gladiolas at the rear of my property which have bloomed beautifully for over 15 years in spite of remaining in-ground during some brutal winters. I recently discovered a patch of poison ivy growing in the center of the glads. It was intermingled with them and there was no way to use an herbicide without getting it on the glads. Last night I used my shovel to press the glads' leaves down to the ground and carefully dug out all the ivy I could see. About half the glad. leaves are intact (not broken off) but still on the ground.

I don't know what to do next. The glad. leaves have been contaminated with the poison ivy oil so I need to limit contact with them. I thought about trying to raise the leaves and tie them up to support them but I wasn't able to get all the poison ivy roots out and will probably be doing battle with it again.

What would happen if I cut the glad leaves down to the ground? Would the plants survive? Should I try to dig out the corms (which I have no experience doing) and store them? It would have to be done carefully and in full ivy- protection gear.

These plants have sentimental value - my mother loved the flowers and i would take them to her before she died. If it wasn't for that I'd just nuke the area - I've had it with the poison ivy invasion this year! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (5)