SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Lavenderlass: what roses I ordered (so far)

carol6ma_7ari
14 years ago

You wanted to know what roses I ordered from Rogue Valley, after I mentioned in another forum getting my box of baby plants this morning. Well, I'm looking at 4 healthy band-size roses, and 1 gallon size. The big one is a rosa alba maxima. The 4 bands are 2 r. alba semi-plena, and 1 each r. moschata plena and 1 Gardenia.

These are going into my newly-made potager (which is more for climbing roses than for veggies & herbs, but they'll co-exist). Because our land has an ever-changing blue ocean view, I've found that reds and pinks don't look great there. So I've decided to focus on climbers that are white, cream and yellow (plus a Buff Beauty, eventually). In June I'll drive down to Hartwood to pick up an Alberic Barbier.

The 8-ft tall cedar poles will hold the roses against possible hurricane winds here. The wire fencing allows me to grow other vine plants such as sweet pea and beans. If I ever figure out how to post a photo, you'll see a totem pole farm. Nothing growing yet. But soon.

I came back from 2 weeks in Northern California with notes and photos of roses I want. The best place to see them was the Heritage Rose Garden in San Jose. There are hundreds of varieties planted in a large circular area and arranged by age of hybridization, date of discovery, etc. A very impressive catalogue of roses.

The ones I want are all climbers and fragrant. Being seaside, the humid air carries the scents wonderfully.

If you ever get to SFO Bay Area at this time some year, I recommend the major displays and also the nurseries. Rose people there really know and love their plants.

Carol

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County