SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

how to pamper a Kousa Dogwood

14 years ago

I planted two 5-6' balled and burlapped Kousa Dogwood about 5 years ago. One of them died, the other is living, but has yet to bloom, and really hasn't grown much either. I do think it is the dwarf variety, but I expected some major horizontal growth by now and some nice blooming.If memory serves, it was quite root bound when we planted it, and I worked hard to loosen and spread the roots.

I'm about ready to yank it, but thought I'd ask here if you think I could pamper it into some growth.

Sheltered from Northwest Winds by gigantic blue spruce. Two very old maples are just south, but the Kousa was placed so that it wouldn't be exactly under the limbs of the Maples, hopefully to avoid root challenges by the Maples. The Kousa gets full morning sun from the East, shaded by the Maples during the midday and probably gets some low rays of late afternoon sun from the west.

I have clay soil 4-5' down, then a high water table with sand. It's planted in the lawn, which we do not fertilize or use pesticides of any sort.

What's the growth problem here? Could I have one of those diseased ones? Should I try fertilizing now?

Comments (5)