SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmie9999

Can you plant veggies in new lasagna bed?

emmie9999
16 years ago

Hi all:

I'm sorry, but I cannot get this clear, and I feel I must ask. The short version is:

* can I plant a veggie garden with tomatoes, peppers, and the like in a newly layered lasagna bed,OR

*do I have to wait until next year, OR

*can I plant if I add some soil to the planting hole?

I just started a lasagna bed in my veggie garden plot this spring. It was actually about 6 weeks ago, and I layered newspaper, shredded leaves, Starbucks grinds, alfalfa meal, and some lawn clippings (which were half green, half thatch, to be honest). I am now ready to mow the lawn and get a LOT more grass clippings, bags of composted manure, and add bags of shredded dry leaves we got this spring. (We had an early freeze and didn't get the lawn raked until early March!) I do have some peat moss (see my earlier thread) and I have alfalfa meal I can sprinkle in between layers as well.

My original impression was I could plant directly in a lasagna bed with no problem. I have the Pat Lanza books, and she is a little vague, but impiles you can. I've been reading on here and looking for hints, and I find a number of posts that say "if it's fresh layers, add some soil to the planting hole." I can do that, and I will if it is the way to ensure my tomatoes will grow this year. However, I thought I could just pop the plants in and they would be fine. Can anyone please help me with this?

I'm sorry, I am probably re-discussing a topic that has been patiently described and explained a thousand times, but I just cannot find the information and I have searched a lot. I don't start my veggies from seeds; we buy from a local farm, and my neighbors and I would like to split some flats of tomatoes and such. I'm afraid I won't have a place to put them if I can't put them in the lasagna layers. I guess I could try and see what happens, but I hate to kill the poor plants needlessly; I'd rather give them a fighting chance.

Thanks very much for any feedback,

Emmie

Comments (6)