SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Flippin Groundhogs Out Already

MissMyGardens
15 years ago

The flippin groundhogs, and I'm controlling my language here, have already emerged here (6b) and one just tried to come into the garage disregarding the fact that I'm sitting right here. I screamed at him to get the &$## out of here and had to chase him all the way to the back of the yard under my father's shed where the family from hell lives and procreates.

I've been wondering what's been rooting around in the back bed behind the garage as nobody but the squirrels and birds usually peruse there.

I'm already in a funk over sowing all these seeds just to have these rolly-polly destroyers drag themselves all over eating everything in their path...and that doesn't even take into account my fury over deer and rabbits getting my plants.

There may be deer/rabbits resistant plant lists to lull newbies like me into a false sense of security (lesson learned last year) but there's nothing miserable groundhogs won't eat.

Sorry...it's so disheartening even when I realize there are people with REAL problems who would love to have just a critter eating plant problem in real life.

My father asked me if I wanted him to get something to deal with them. My first thought was not "nature correct" so he suggested Havahart traps. I reminded him it's illegal in NJ to trap and relocate rabbits/groundhogs but he swears his friends ("old men's take back our yard gang") do it all the time.

Well, I had my rant to the ONLY people I know who might have one iota of sympathy for finding your plants eaten to the ground after all the work that goes into producing and tending them. Even ugly fencing doesn't keep them out.

There's no one in my daily life who gives one hoot if there are flowers and plants besides Boxwood on the entire street...and the deer have stripped all the outer branches of the Boxwood already this winter. Yes, they've been sprayed weekly with alternating concoctions to no avail.

I look at all the beautiful pictures of your gardens and sigh with dejection after I see how many gorgeous flowers are out there.

Fences are going up until the babies can get bigger and I don't care how trashy it looks in front of the house and at the street...or how much my father snipes about it.

Okay, I'm done venting for the time being...but only because I need to get dinner ready!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH