SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canyoncrawler

Algae, Watercress, and Fool's watercress in compost.

canyoncrawler
15 years ago

Hello,

This is my first post in the composting forum.

Thanks for this base of knowledge over the years.

My friend has a spring fed pond that has a cold stream running out of it. In the impounded area of the spriing grows a massive amount of watercress, fools'watercress and some unknown algae. I know most plants, but little about algae species.

I got a wheelbarrow of it to add to my compost, because it seemed like it would be really great, but i figured that i would ask someone with experience.

I did water quality analysis and it is great, but i didnt have access to iron/nitr/phosphate tests. just microbes / turbidity/ph flow, etc.

Also, none of this was in flower, and I doubt that it could survive in soil anyway

If CaptainCompost is out there:

I read your book! Thanks!

I also worked with a Master Gardener's class that you taught in Cherokee County. We transplanted Native plants from a bridge construction area to another part of Little River Canyon National Preserve (where i work) They all loved your class! I was jealous! I brought 2, 13 gallon totes of my compost to to enrich the disturbed area which ANOTHER bridge was just constructed. Small world!

Comments (3)