SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

Crankcase leak problem

njdpo
15 years ago

Hi all,

I am working on a motorcycle engine - but I suspect this problem has been seen by members of this forum. I hope you can help.

This is a 4 stroke Yamaha motor 1980 xt250. This motorâÂÂs crankcase is split vertically during its manufacturing (nicely done / assembly) ⦠My problem is that this motor is leaking oil, the crankcase oil weeps from the case (due to an accident many years ago). The weeping oil is coming from the split case (and broken gasket?), thank god the case isnâÂÂt cracked⦠Re-torque-ing the case has not helped with the weeping issue (perhaps a little).

I know deep down in my heart a new gasket should be installed. My friend sized it up very well âÂÂAwww Mann ⦠your gonna be one day in - and one day outâ HeâÂÂs right... its gonna take a while for it to happen⦠and I really donâÂÂt want to (or have that time). Where not talking about an old (and simple) Briggs, these cases have a lot of stuff in them (tranny, oil pump, clutch, O.H.Cam, etc).

If I can fix it externally without pulling that motor and cracking those cases open. I might try it. Please forgive me â¦

I am thinking :

- Silicone sealant: quick/easy to work with, easy to remove from engine - maybe , donâÂÂt have any experience trying to seal a motor. I donâÂÂt think its going to work ... How about you guys ?

- JB Weld: I think this would make the problem go away. Very difficult to remove, donâÂÂt need to use a lot of surface 2in x þ in. DonâÂÂt want to glue the cases shut in that 2 inch long strip.

- Gasket set: No brainer - this is the way to do it right⦠I DonâÂÂt want to open that motor â¦

I think my next move is to try a silicon sealer externally ⦠but want to hear your thoughts before I go out and buy anything.

Thanks all

Comments (8)

Sponsored