SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellys4811

severe cane damage, please help! (with pics)

shellys4811
14 years ago

For the past several days, could actually be a couple of weeks, I have been noticing these "holes" in my canes making an appearance. At first, I didn't pay it much attention, because I decided that it was probably weakened places in the stems and canes from the strong winds that we have been having. But now, I realize that I have made a terrible mistake! This, undeniably, is something much worse!

As much as I can figure out, I'm thinking it might be rose midge damage. And besides whatever this is, I do have rose midge, because the buds are turning black, and have all the obvious signs of the terrible little creature. But I can't seem to find any photos of cane damage from rose midge. That's leading me to think it may be something else, something worse!

I have 81 rose bushes, and almost everyone is affected by this. Some canes have it intermittently up and down the cans, some have it just towards the top. In any case, I need some precise help with this, because I just don't know what to do! And the thought of losing all of my rose bushes just makes me feel devastated!

I have included 5 pics of the cane damage described above. And while I am posting pics, the last two are on a climber that I have, that in my opinion, look like I need to prune out. Only thing is - they are the largest canes, and do have the most of the plants growth on them!

Desperate for help!!!

Shelly

{{gwi:274440}}

{{gwi:274442}}

{{gwi:274443}}

{{gwi:274445}}

{{gwi:274446}}

{{gwi:274447}}

{{gwi:274448}}

Comments (4)