SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figment_cb

Climbing roses for Florida

figment_cb
14 years ago

I live in north-central Florida, either zone 8 or 9 depending on the map I look at. (With the odd weather lately, I'd say zone 8 winters with zone 9 summers...)

I'm working on gathering my various potted roses together into a more organized rose garden, and would like to build an arbor or trellis as the entrance. Something like this. (Still trying to figure out where in that diagram the flowers are growing up from... I assume normal is to plant on either both sides or all four corners, depending on the arbor design?)

In any case, is there such a thing as roses that bloom all year round in my area, that would be suitable for climbing an arbor like this? Something easy to grow? I haven't killed any roses yet, but I'm not exactly an expert. Fast-growing is ideal as well. I know I probably couldn't expect full-coverage in a year, but, well, I can dream. (Rose-kudzu hybrid anyone? I could cover an entire fence that way! ;-)

I do have some roses growing wild in my yard that seem to be some sort of ground creepers. The vines actually root along the ground. (A brief web search suggests they might be "memorial roses," but I'm not sure. They were here when I moved in.) I thought about transplanting those, but I figure they'd be happier as ground cover than trying to grow up the side of anything.

By the way, this is my first post here. I've been doing a lot of garden-related searches lately (I'm working on a collection of carnivorous plants, too) and it seems like no matter what question I posted to Google, this was one of the first sites that came up! When I realized I needed to join a gardening forum, there was no question where to go. :-)

Comments (6)