SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Toro 16-38HXL Very Loud, Backfires, & Gas in Oil

ntl1991
10 years ago

Hello,

My Toro 16-38XHL lawn tractor has been giving me quite a bit of trouble. I recently re-engined the tractor with a good used 16HP Briggs and Stratton, same Toro labeled model.

The tractor ran perfect when I first installed the engine. I then replaced all the belts, along with the fuel filter, air filter, spark plug, oil and filter. The tractor sat for about 2 weeks and I started it back up. Smoke was blowing everywhere and the engine ran rough and backfired. I stopped it and checked everything. I had massive amounts of gas in the oil.

I pulled the carb. The cut off solenoid is working perfect, and there was no varnish or gum in the carb when I took it apart. The needle seals completely, I couldn't blow into the fuel nipple with the float up, so I can't imagine how gas is leaking in. The float seams fine, not filled with gas or anything. I cleaned the carb anyway while I had it apart.

I changed the oil and filter again, cleaned the plug, and started her back up. She's real loud but I can't find any muffler leaks. Doesn't sound like it's running right. A relative had it since new before me, but the engine blew on them. The tractor itself is in great shape along with the hydrostatic transmission. Their old engine was always backfiring on them when turning the engine off. Could the backfiring have damaged the muffler enough to make it very noisy?

The exhaust from the engine isn't smooth like my other tractor with an Briggs IC. It's long, harsh puffs of exhaust from the muffler, not a smooth even puffing... Once I get past mid-throttle, the tractor is too loud to run. It's also backfiring and stumbling when I adjust the throttle up or down.

Here are a couple videos of the engine running:

At Idle:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/NTL1991/media/IMG_0057.mp4.html

Running:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/NTL1991/media/IMG_0056.mp4.html

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Thanks,
Nick

Comments (11)

Sponsored