SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quickrick_gw

Repowering my Snapper- again

quickrick
11 years ago

Guys,

After a short 4 years, I may have to replace the Ebay Tecumseh OVRM105-120 motor that I bought.

From day one this motor has been hard to start, uses and leaks oil, even with the same care that lead to my all aluminum Briggs lasting 17 years. With an iron cylinder, pressurized oiling and ohv, I expected great things. A cheap Briggs or Chinese clone would have been a better choice I think now.

Today while cutting grass the motor stopped, it no longer has good compression. I tried adjusting the valves and also, a squirt of oil in the cylinder to determine where the pressure loss is occuring. I was not successful. I owe it to myself to remove the head I suppose, to see if the gasket blew or else the valves have a problem but I'm not optimistic. The valves do operate up and down okay so I have no clue at this juncture.

I could buy a new Toro etc. but I'd like to keep my old Snapper BBC running if possible. I want a good motor and I also want it to not be "fixed" compliance type but have a throttle cable control. I need a 25mm shaft just to complicate my search.

What would you guys do, junk it or keep the old boy running? I sort of am attached to the old Snapper, it cuts grass as good as any new one and is easy to get parts for except the blade brake clutch.

QR

Comments (29)