SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firestix_gw

Repowering electrical issues 18hp briggs

firestix
13 years ago

I have been battling a re-power on my mower since the beginning of the season. Thanks to good neighbors I don't have a hay field on my hands.

The details and numbers...

I'm working on a Snapper LT180H48DBV2

It had a B&S vanguard 351777 1114-E2 98051211

I installed a B&S 422707 1510 92043012

The problems:

I got it all together and running, mows great and everything. After a half a tank of gas it just up and died on me. Come to find the battery was drained. One other thing to note when I turn the key to off the mower still runs. I'm not sure if this indicates the problem. One post I read indicated this was a sign of bad diodes. Yet I would think the regulator would be where my diodes were and it worked peachy with the old engine. That being said my used replacement engine did not come with a regulator. I used the one off the old vanguard so the wiring made sense to me.

My trouble shooting and measurements...

With the engine running all measurements turned out to be DC

Regulated red to ground 7V 1A

Red wire to ground 17v 3A

Black wire to ground -3.5mV -.27A (Honestly couldn't tell you for sure this was dc just kinda assumed by this measurement.)

I just discovered while writing this, my stator hookup wires differ in color. Vanguard is two black wires while the new to me motor is black and red. So now I'm guessing I need to take the regulator out of the system. It all makes a bit more sense to me. However two important get it running questions would remain in my head.

The questions...

Can i just run the red wire connection to the red wire that used to connect to the regulator that as far as I can tell runs directly back to the battery? If so where does the black wire get run to? Ground?

and

Why does the engine now run even when I turn the mower off or I trip one of the safety switches? (I.e. the seat switch or brake switch.) Is this a diode thing? Cause I can solder some diodes if I can find and or know where they go. What type of diodes? Or does it have to do with all the extra wires that hooked up to the vanguard that don't have a place on the new to me engine? These include the following:

To oil pressure

To anti afterfire solenoid

to ignition ground (on second thought I think I saw a place for this on the new engine I'm just not sure the wire will reach in the current configuration.)

Lastly I want to be able to hook everything up to the vanguard if I can figure out what happened to it so I'm trying not to cut and splice wires. Is the "wire stop" what I will need to plug into the stator connection?

In case your wondering and or feeling generous...

The vanguard died in the following manner. The mower leaked out all the oil from the fancy 1/4 turn oil drain during a mow. I discovered it and filled up on new oil for the next mow. It may or may not have run on one cylinder for a while. But while mowing I heard a clunk and the engine stopped running. At some point one of the bolts of the muffler blew out. Now when power is applied to the starter the blower on top freely spins as if there is no connection to the cylinders. I coulden't tell you for sure if the drive shaft was spinning or not. I still have yet to start tearing it apart to find the problem and see if its worth repairing.

If your still reading thanks for taking the time.

If you help me out may your lawn be green and your garden bountiful

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions