SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twiztidpod

Thanks Walt !!!!! re: B&S 18hp twin

twiztidpod
15 years ago

I had recently got ahold of another 18.5 hp Briggs twin Model 42A707. I was insipred to get them both cleaned up and running, both had been sitting out for quite some time. I had some electrical issues with the first one, which you guy's helped me resolve, now it starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

With this other engine I was having some cranking problems, once eliminating the solenoid and starter, I wanted to check the valve clearances, but wasn't real sure of how to go about it. I got ahold of Walt and he gave me alot of great information.

I checked the valve clearances and found them all to be within tolerance. Then I remembered something Walt had told me. Check for CARBON build-up inside the heads and around the valves (he said it would raise the compression, which makes great sense). I pulled one of the heads and it, the piston and the valves were covered in very thick carbon build up. I cleaned it all up and reasembled that side and tried to crank it over. It cranked alot better, by now from all my messing around the battery is dying, so I put it on the charger overnite and will clean the other head tomorrow and try it again with a nice hot battery. I'm pretty confident that I will get this one running too, Thanks to all the help I got from the boy's at Garden Web !!!!! Especially Walt !!!!.......and If it doesn't fire tomorrow, I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks again everyone

Dennis.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions