SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Big Sky Coneflowers SUCK!

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

I have grown coneflowers forever. I even use them in my user name; however, the Big Sky series is so pitiful that I couldn't go any longer without commenting on it.

Twilight (Red): I bought 3 plants last year. Not one of them survived the summer. They were weak plants even when I purchased a gallon container plant. The plant did bloom before croaking, but the blooms fade to pink after only a few days. They hardly ever looked like the pictures used to con me into purchasing them. These plants would just turn black. I have never grown such sickly coneflowers before.

Sunrise (Pale Yellow): Distorted blooms, not healthy. Blooms fade to a pale yellow that looks dirty white. The blooms are only pretty for a day or two and then they look like a pastel sucky version of themselves. They did return from last year, but are now so small and not blooming. I pulled one out yesterday. I'm waiting on the other one, but so far these are weak.

Harvest Moon (Dark Yellow): I loved the bloom color at first, but they fade within a day or two and become this ugly pastel color. This year 2 plants returned out of 2 at least, but one has distorted blooms like the discontinued Sunset plants which had problems in tissue culture.

Sundown (Orange): Last year I bought several of these plants. They couldn't take the summer heat in Tennessee. Heck, our state is perfect for growing coneflowers. We even have one named after the state. I watered them and kept a few alive through the summer. The only problem is this year the blooms are not so orange anymore. They are a pinker color. They suck anyway because the orange color didn't last but a day or two and then it faded to an ugly pastel version of the original color.

After Midnight (Dark Purple): These were so finicky. It could rain and they would die. Seriously. I've never seen such week plants. I replaced 3 of them and only 1 is still alive this year. I bought 5 plants in all and only 1 returned. I like the blooms and stem color on these, but they do fade fast just like the other Big Sky series plants.

Summer Sky (The First bi-colored Coneflower): The color was disappointing. I agree it does appear to be two-toned, but not enough to justify a new plant variety. My Pallida plants have two-toned blooms and they are grown from seed. They are also better plants and don't fade as bad. They also return every year! This plant is the worst of all! I bought 3 and only one survived the summer and came back this year. It only has 3 stalks! LOL. This thing is pitiful. If it rains for a few days it starts dying. Seriously!

Summary: Big Sky Coneflowers are sucky, diseased plants that aren't even comparable to the wild species plants. Sure they have color for a day or two, but what good is it when they keep fading and getting diseases. All of my other coneflowers look great. My Razmatazz, Double Delight, Coconut Lime, and all wild varieties look healthier than ever. All of those returned and look beautiful. Were these things rushed to the market without any testing? I went to a greenhouse and was told they no longer carry these plants because people complained about them so much.

Advice: If you want an Orange coneflower, get Tiki Torch. I bought 4 of those this year and they are beautiful and don't fade. They are also healthier than the Big Sky series. As far as yellow goes, the only one I'd get is Paradoxa. It is tougher than Sunrise and Harvest Moon. I am so disappointed in these plants after spending so much money. They are a disaster.

Comments (72)

• juliet11
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My best performing coneflowers are older: Magnus, White Swan and Kim's Knee High. Of the newer coneflowers, Sunrise has done the best - it's two years old now and is a big bushy clump. I also planted Hope and Fragrant Angel in the spring of 2006 and they were puny last year, but this year Hope looks much better. Fragrant Angel is still pretty small, but also looks better than last year. Little Giant and Kim's Mophead died over the winter a couple years ago.

Juliet

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

How do and how fast do any of these spread for you? I just bought 3 of the double decker from bluestones sale.

Thanks
    Karyn

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Echinacea/Coneflower-Big Sky Series-Any

Q

Comments (5)
    yes, I also have done the same and it does not work the new plants have various colors much lighter than the original-that is why I have posted it in the plant want list :o)!! I do have seeds from these plants but am hoping someone who has planted more from a cutting or root seperation has some extas. Thanks for all of the follow ups :o)!!
    ...See More

Show Me Your Sick Big Sky Coneflowers

Q

Comments (13)
    dtowjbrown, drought resistant in a description refers to plants that need very little or no extra water - once established...key word is established :) Nothing newly planted in your garden is going to be exceptionally drought tolerant, but you can ease off on providing supplemental water once fully rooted into your beds which may take the first year after planting.
    ...See More

Coneflower Blooms (Warning: Big Photos)

Q

Comments (28)
    nikkineel, I'll post this tomorrow morning. I'll take pictures and show how I did it. Some coneflowers develop roots better than others but it can be done with any variety. Here's the basics of how I do this... It's best to work with an established plant. Basically you look for small plantlets around the crown of the mother plant. They will come loose by wiggling them back and forth. Many times these will have a small root or a few. I dip these in rooting gel (Clonex) and plant them into small peat pots with moistened Jiffy seed starter mix. I place these into a clear or frosted plastic tote (from Target/Wal-Mart) with a light on top. I cut a few small holes in the top of the container for air exchange. Place a saucer with water in it inside the tote (for extra humidity) for about a week or two. After about 2-3 weeks, I remove the plants to see if they can remain outside the humidity of the tote. If they wilt (within 2 hours), I put them back into the container. After they don't wilt anymore, it's time to put them outside under a shade tree for a few days. Now would be a good time to plant the peat pots into a larger container. After they are used to being outside, I plant them in their final location. It's so easy when you get used to it. I learn something new about these plants every year. I'm getting better and better at rooting them. I'd say this works 98% of the time. Usually when it doesn't work is if you over-water them. Keep that in mind when working with them.
    ...See More

Big Sky Echinechea series?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have had two Big Sky Sunrise not make it through winter. I'm sure it was from drainage problems not cold. I have also lost Kim's Knee High. Prairie Splendor is doing well.
    ...See More
  • linlily
    15 years ago

I've posted about these before. I feel lucky after reading all these posts. I bought 4 on ebay last spring - Sunrise, Sunset, Harvest Moon, and Summer Sky. They were plugs that were repotted into the next size up pot right before I bought them. I could tell that by how the root systems were are in the center of the pot.

They seemed slow to settle in, but did eventually. All bloomed and I was satisfied with what I saw. I held my breath all winter, wondering if they were going to come back. All did and each has already set buds, soon to bloom. I couldn't be more pleased with them, but I know I will worry every winter that may not be there the next spring. The older, pink ones such as Magness, or Bright Star were ones you could always count on.

Linda

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's strange how these things are so unpredictable. One of my After Midnight plants is blooming now and looks so much more colorful than last year. I was able to get 2 basal cuttings off of it yesterday. They both had roots already! The other 4 After Midnight plants are in plant heaven! They all received the same water, etc. in the same flower bed. They all were purchased at the same place. I'm going to experiment with different lighting and locations with these plants and see if I can come up with some advice for others about what works with them.

• terrene
    15 years ago

Linlily, I am curious how you were able to purchase these plants on eBay. The Big Sky Echinacea are all patented plants and unlicensed propogation is prohibited. Do they have licensed distributors on eBay or are they selling them illegally?

I remember reading about people selling a supposedly blue peony called "Blue Lagoon" on Ebay. Auctions were bid up to ridiculous prices. Well, there is no such cultivar and there is no blue peony, and the poor suckers discovered after a year or 2 that the peonies were pink when they bloomed.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Terrene, one of the Ebay sellers (Perfect Plants) is actually Park's/Wayside. They do have a license. There are some licensed nurseries on Ebay as well.

• mayalena
    15 years ago

Well -- I have to say that I am very happy so far with my Sundown echinacea. 3 have come back reliably after 2 winters now, and I've just added 2 more. I've got Sunrise going in another spot, and they look really healthy too.
    I also have 1 or 2 Twilights -- they are shorter, and I am having a hard time seeing them among the Sundowns, but I am pretty sure they are there.

I think we hear dissatisfied voices more often than satisfied ones, so perhaps that's why it seems that "Too many people have had trouble with these plants." I am pretty certain that Saul Nursery tested them before launch.

ML

• grinder12000
    15 years ago

My take is that so many perennials are 100% perfect that when one has a little problem it is heard about very loudly.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These plants don't have a "little problem." There are places which no longer sell them because they don't over-winter well. Echinacea plants are usually very reliable perennials. These aren't. I would say that a perennial that isn't reliably perennial is a big problem.

• kowalleka
    15 years ago

I have to agree with echinaceamaniac. I do not expect any perennial to be 100% perfect. I have lost my share of many plants. However, for the price of these plants, the problems are overwhelming.

Over the past three years, I have lost 4 of 4 Sunrise, 4 of 4 Sunset, 2 of 2 Twilight, 2 of 2 Sundown, 3 of 3 Orange Meadowbrite, 1 of 2 Mango Meadowbright, 2 of 2 After Midnight, 2 of 2 Fatal Attraction. Both my Harvest Moon reappeared this year. However, one is a foot tall, and the other is 2" tall, and they are right next to each other! I also had Razzmatazz for two years, but it never did sprout its 'top hats' and eventually died. My only reliable bloomer is Fragrant Angel. It is now 5 years old and still going strong. And of course the old standby Ruby Star and White Swan.

This year, I got Tiki Torch, which is gorgeous, Raspberry Tart, Coconut Lime and Virgin. I am hoping that at least one of these plants lives to next year.

I do not mind spending a bit more for an unusual or new variety, but I expect that plant to at least live, even if its blooms are not what I expected. I have bought dozens of new varieties of heucheras over the last few years and only lost one. But as for the new echinaceas, maybe they need to start selling them as annuals.

• tasymo
    15 years ago

O.K., now I'm nervous about the "Twilight" I just bought. Do any of you think extra mulch over the winter might help it survive? I also bought "Ruby Star" and "White Swan", so It's good to know those two are reliable. I couldn't find "Tiki Torch" locally, so I'll probably order that from an online source. Any recommendations? Kathy

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Razmatazz kowalleka. They are actually one of the most reliable plants for me. Both of mine came back this year. Coconut Lime is reliable too. I planted mine late in the fall and it still came back strong and larger than last year. I was able to divide a baby plant from it this afternoon. Now I have 2 of them!

• butterclem
    15 years ago

I'm hearing terrible things about the new echinaceas locally, too, though personally I'm not having problems -- yet. I planted three Twilight and three Fatal Attraction last year. They all came through the winter and now are budding normally. They bloomed for a long time last summer; I'll have to see how they look and how long they bloom this year. This spring I added three Merlot. I compost with mushroom manure after the first hard frost, but that's really all they got. I'm sure it's luck, and, of course, they could all disappear in a really tough winter.

But you don't want to get me started on coreopsis either. . . .

• gardenfanatic2003
    15 years ago

My Sunset looked wonderful last summer - I loved it. It started out robustly this year, but in the last 10 days we've had over 5 inches of rain (unusual for us), and it's on its way out. I'm disappointed! I plan to get another one and plant it in a spot that not only doesn't stay as wet, but I'll make a little hill for it.

Deanna

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

I had problems my first year with Magnus! I lost 1 out of 3 White Swan last year, and one of the 2 survivors was very small, and is just now pushing new growth (but, to be fair, I did move it). So it isn't all about the Big Sky series. I think the problem is the aster yellows, which is caused by leafhoppers, and is not easily contolled.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aster Yellows

• joycewwct
    15 years ago

Strange. The only ones I have had trouble with is Sunset, with distorted petals and finally lost both. Even the ones that I planted during the drought last summer and I thought had died, have returned. I love the colors. This is just the third year for some and the second for others so I am hoping they get bigger with more blooms. The one that blooms the most is Fragrant Angel. Love it. But I want more Sundown blooms. Love the blooms and perfume of Sunrise. Unfortunately a woodchuck just discovered my garden and this is his favorite plant. He pruned the tops off all my echinacea and barely touched anything else. I just got some Shake-Away and spread it around the bed and each echinacea. I hope it does the job so that they can bloom this year.

• DYH
    15 years ago

The Sundown keep looking better. That's a miscanthus 'Cosmopolitan' providing a backdrop of white/green variegated leaves. This is a slope, so my coneflowers are downhill mid-way between a vitex and the miscanthus. East side of house.

{{gwi:233651}}

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

Oh Cameron! I love that combination! Beautiful, just beautiful. What is the little yellow bloom next to the coneflower?

• DYH
    15 years ago

That is a hypericum. Mounded shape, loaded with blooms when it gets going. It's a nice St. Johns Wort that behaves itself (unlike some more invasive types). It is deciduous, but it blooms and blooms. The bumble bees go crazy on it, then they just hang out on the blooms in exhaustion! They love it. Mellow yellow for bumbles.

There are 3 Homestead Purple verbena surrounding the hypericum that have been blooming continuously...I need to deadhead now.

• kyle72
    15 years ago

I will have to say I agree with you echinaceamaniac my big sky series sucks !The only one I seem to have had any success with is harvest moon!The rest are all deformed looking and I have many of them all!

• albre_wa
    15 years ago

This is my first season for bright orange 'Big Sky Sundown'. I paired it with daylily 'Hot Toddy'. Even though 'Hot Toddy' is labeled as azalea pink petals w/bright pink ribs & amber throats, it was orange. I was delighted with the beautiful combination until Sundown faded to a washed out pink. However, I will give Sundown another year.

• lannegreenelag
    15 years ago

This string makes me sad. I really love Summer Sky and was going to plant some this fall, but now!!! My one White Swan didn't make it through last winter. It was rotted when everything else was waking up. Ohh if they were not so pretty I would give up on coneflowers. My Magnus, species and random babies do fine. What to do? What white conflowers have you found hardy? Are there any other coneflowers with that peach-pink color of a fresh Summer Sky flower?

• madtripper
    15 years ago

A couple of messages here talk about 'cuttings', or 'basal cuttings', but the descriptions sound as if all you are doing is removing small side shoots??

Am I missing something? Are you really taking cuttings, or just waiting until the plant makes babies?

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

madtripper,

The easiest way is to remove the side shoots, but you can root cuttings if you try hard enough. I'm experimenting with this chemical called Configure. It forces coneflowers to put up many side shoots. Let's just say after 5 days, I'm very impressed!

• garden_for_life
    15 years ago

I, too, have had bad luck and won't invest any more money in the trendy new colored cone flowers. I'll stick with the tried and true. I had an orange-y one (called Meadowbrite, I think?) It struggled mightly last year and put off a couple flowers this summer, then died while all the Magnus around it thrived and expanded.

• hlaverdiere
    14 years ago

Wow. I'm glad I read this thread as I was about to buy a few Big Skys. Any opinions on Merlot, Tomato Soup, Doppelganger?

• linlily
    14 years ago

I have another post above on this thread. My 4 different Big Sky Echinacea are up and growing well. They are doing great here in zone 5/6 and I feel that I can recommend them. This is the beginning of their 3rd full year here. Visitors to my yard always comment on them when they are in bloom.

Linda

• jadegreen_17372
    14 years ago

I wasn't happy with any of my Big Skys either. I hope that I change my mind this year.

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I planted Sunrise, Sunset last year. Only Sunrise survived the winter. Sunset is RIP. I'll never buy another Big Sky series coneflower again.
    Also, this is my SECOND try at growing Tiki Torch. I planted it last autumn, and it didn't make it through winter at all. So, this spring I planted another one to see if the long summer would help. We'll see, but I'm not impressed so far. I had high hopes for this one. :(

• beckybloom
    14 years ago

My Big Sky Sunset has disappointed. Planted in the spring, looked promising for awhile, then the blooms faded quickly, looked sickly and then the foliage developed this bronze cast to it and looks sick. Not sure if now it may have a disease.

• fernzilla
    14 years ago

Well I can Ditto the subject of this posting. I purchased
    After Midnight, and Summer Sunset year before last, and they both died, I got two Kim's Knee High at the the same time, and this is thier second yeart doing marvelous. I found a really healthy nice looking After Midnight today for 6.00. I am going to try it one more time, in a spot which gets a bit more Sun. I really love the color, and hope it survives.

• coneflower_gregg
    13 years ago

I couldn't agree more. I've spent hundreds of dollars on the Big Sky series and your descriptions are exact to the flower.

On another note, I had some beautiful Tennessee coneflowers for two years. They all died rather suddenly. Any ideas / experience on why or how to avoid this again would be greatly appreciated. THey are one of my favorite coneflowers.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

My Aftermidnight is doing great! Also, I'm happy to say my Tiki Torch is doing wonderful finally! Maybe some just need time, and need to survive the winter! lol

Here's some pics:

Tiki Torch

{{gwi:237657}}

After Midnight

{{gwi:237659}}

• the_plant_geek
    13 years ago

Summer Sky and Sunrise are the most vigorous of the bunch and other than the fact the Sunrise you buy are almost all now infected with aster yellows (and many other coneflowers, but it seems this series is the worst), they've both been great performers over the years. After Midnight is the worst of the bunch, and considering that Merlot, Vintage Wine, and Fatal Attraction are all darker and more vigorous, it isn't worth the time, effort, and $. (having said that, mine is downright gorgeous this year) NONE of the new hybrids are as vigorous as straight purpurea, and none should be treated as such. When grown properly, all can be successfully grown into z4, maybe even z3 for some of them. I've had success with all of the Big Sky series (there are 2 new ones for 2011) and all of the Terra Nova varieties from 2009 and earlier. I expect that the new varieties for this year and early releases for 2011 that I have will perform as admirably.

The Plant Geek
    www.confessionsofaplantgeek.blogspot.com

Here is a link that might be useful: part 3 of my coneflowers blog posts- hybrid echinacea

• alyciaadamo
    13 years ago

You know I am glad I found this thread. I have 5 echinaceas and while I am happy with some I am unhappy with my Summer sky and Tomato soup. I don't know the names to 3 of them-two look like black eyed susan and the third has creamy off white petals, I love these cone flowers. That is why I got the others. This year is the first year for both summer sky and tomato soup to bloom but I am disappointed in color and size. Summer sky seems really washed out and tomato soup is TINY. I was also expecting more of a deep red from tomato soup and what I got is a reddish orange color. Should I give them another year or just get rid of them now? I was really expecting bold colors and nice sized flowers like that of my "black eyed susan" look-a-likes(size wise).
    I do have to speak of their vigor though they over wintered in pots in zone 4 and they are doing pretty well on the growing front. They have been in pots all summer with this strange heatwave with no extra water lately, very forgiving and hardy. You know maybe on second thought I will keep them just because of that......hmmmmmmmmmmm................

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

Dud's for me too,
    I'm in zone 6, i see that in zones 7 they are surviving
    tried the sunset series a few years back the first year out, lost a whole bed 189.00, I just picked up a sundown at a local shop (clearance) and had the discussion about this plant he said they are going to have to market it as an annual in the north, plants start out as perennial and when they don't make the winters they re-market them as annuals, this ones color looks awfully faded. it sure isn't the prettiest one

• terrene
    12 years ago

Well, 3 years after this thread started, my Sunrise and Summer Sky are still alive. But the flowers on the Sunrise are almost always deformed, and I don't like the color on the Summer Sky - too orange for my taste, which then fades out to anemic pink. The other annoying thing about these hybrids is that they cross-pollinate with the E. purpurea and I get a hodge podge of mostly ugly seedlings that are tall and rangey with washed out pink blooms. They got shovel pruned this year.

I am sticking to the straight species E. purpurea, and its cultivars. I love White Swan, am starting others from seed - Pow wow wild berry, Primadonna White, etc., and bought some 'Prairie Splendor' from Bluestone this year.

Also I have one small bloom on the E. paradoxa this year, started from seed (your seeds E-maniac).

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome! I like paradoxa. I've been experimenting with it this year. I have some that I planted close to a rose bush. The blooms looked nice peaking out from them!

• linlily
    12 years ago

I posted here in May of '09. I have to disagree. So far, all my Big Sky Echinaceas are still going strong. And they've given me a few interesting seedlings. This year is the first year I've ones that are pink. Most have looked like the the parent, excetp for Sunrise, which has never gave me any volunteers.

I posted this on a previous thread a couple of weeks ago:
    {{gwi:237661}}

This is a volunteer from Sundown. The only other Echincea anywhere near it on this side of the house is Paradoxa. I suspect that it is a cross between Paradoxa and Sundown. The color has held well in these last couple of weeks, and there are tons of flowers that have opened on this 43 inch tall plant. The cone smells like paradoxa and has the same hard feel.

So, I have to disagree - I love the Big Sky Series Echies.

Linda

• capecodder
    12 years ago

My Big Sky sundown was fantastic for 3 years then didn't come back this year. After Midnight, a dud. Summer Sky is doing wonderfully, as is the morning one. Pow Wow Berry, bought this year, is thriving. No luck on Green Envy. Irresistable, bought this year, is weird but doing okay. So many of those that you all mention are ones I've never ever seen in any of my travels in search of new plants.

• linlily
    12 years ago

capecodder, you just reminded me...I lost a Pow Wow Wild Berry that was given to me last fall by a gardening friend. It was put in the same time as four others - Bright Star, Ruby Star, Milk Shake, and another one that I need to check the tag on. PWWB was the only one that did not come back. And all of these were planted in the same general area, with the same soil.

As to ones that you never see at local garden centers, box stores, etc, there are new varieties of Echinacea coming out every year now, and I've gotten to the point that I can no longer keep up with them and keep them all straight as to which is which color. Maybe old age....

I still would like to find E. Pink Poodle, but I've read so many posts about it sometimes not looking at all like the picture. Still, I'd love to give it a try!

Linda

• terrene
    12 years ago

Linlily, that pic is very pretty, if my seedlings looked like that they sure wouldn't have gotten shovel pruned! Perhaps you get more interesting plants when crossing the Big Sky plants with E. paradoxa than with E. purpurea.

I did actually get one seedling I liked, it looked as though Sunrise had crossed with the Echinacea Rocky Tops, which I believe is Tennessee Coneflower? It had the same flower shape as E. tennesseensis but was much taller. Flowers were great for cutting! Unfortunately the rampaging voles ate that one this past winter. :(

• linlily
    12 years ago

In the same bed, terrene, are two regular looking pink ones. They are nice and tall but look like the regular E. purpurea. I'm going to ask neighbors if they would like to have them. They are growing right up next to my Sundown and I need to move them.

I think you might be right about crossing the Big Sky plants with E. Paradoxa. You might get something really special and different. I have a friend who has offered to grow out some of the seeds from my tangerine orange seedling just to see what we get. I'm definitely taking her up on it. Since Paradoxa has been blooming about the same time as this seedling, maybe more crossing has taken place by the bees. You just never know.

It's really awful that the voles ate your tall cross. It sounds like a really nice plant and I love the idea of the tall flowers.

Linda

• User
    12 years ago

fully agree - rubbish, all of them. Several nurseries and our university botanics no longer bother with these (expensive) primadonnas

• linlily
    12 years ago

I don't understand, campanula. If they are rubbish, why do some of us have so much success growing them? I've had other perennials, such as numerous delphiniums, through the years, that have lasted 2 or three years and disappeared? My Big Sky Echies are now 5 years old and look as good now as they did in year 2. And mine where purchased on-line as replanted plugs in 3 inch pots. I just don't think you can make a generalization like that and it be a valid point.

Linda

• allandale
    12 years ago

I wish I'd found this forum before I invested in several Summer Sky plants. I posted over on the Far North forum originally but didn't get a lot of feedback. I have to agree with the first poster: these plants suck. All of the foliage except for one leaf died back after planting and that one surviving leaf is now also dead. Over the years, I've been growing species and its cultivars with no problem. The 'Milkshake' and 'White Swan' are doing great, all planted at the same time with the same care as the Big Sky. An expensive experiment and a lesson well-learned.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I'm from Denmark , theoretically zone 6-7. Not only Big Sky Series, but nearly all the other fancy ones were a total failure here. The plants die just because you look at them. Sometimes they survive the winter just to shrink to nothing during the spring. If they survive their flowers are distorted. The list of total rubbish include: The whole Big Sky series, Tiki Torch, Fragrant Angel, Art's pride. Meringue is a very weak grower here, as well as Double Pink Delight and Fatal Attraction. Of the newer ones, only one returned bigger than last year: Hot Summer.

Plants that thrive: Razzamatazz, Coconut Lime, Champagne Bubbles, Hope, Avalanche, White Swan. Hot Papaya looks to be vigorous.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Well what was left of the 1 Sunrise has been eaten by voles. 2 of the 3 original Summer Sky are hanging on, but I am again dismayed at how quickly they fade out.

It is true Linlily, that these plants have done okay for a few people, and that there is a long list of other species' fancy cultivars that have failed for me too. IMO, the rate of failure of the new Echinaceas is too high to justify the expense. I don't plan on buying any more of them until (maybe) they have proven their staying power.

In the meantime, my seedlings of Echinacea Pow Wow Wild Berry, Primadonna White, and Bravado are overall doing very well. We'll see how they do - it's kind of an experiment, but a lot less expensive one than buying plants.

• mccommas
    11 years ago

What I really hate about this flower is the razor sharp needle-like seeds! Now THAT SUCKS! Add to that I was spreading this demon seed while my hands were very sensitive. Not Fun.