SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

When do you use your compost?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

Ages ago I remember watching a Martha Stewart episode about compost. Her compost bins were perfect. Her tools were perfect. Her compost material was perfect. She had an entire section of her property set up for the composting process. And the list goes on.....

What really made me feel like a complete failure was this huge screen thing she had built. It sat at an angle. The finished compost was tossed at it. Only the fine, perfectly rotted material passed through the screen and that was the stuff she used. Perfect of course.

Not doing that here.

I'm very impatient when it comes to using my rotten stuff. In fact, the stuff that went into the bins last fall and winter is the stuff I'm spreading right now. Probably 75% of it is almost dirt like, but there are still small pieces of rotting stems, small clumps of rotting roots, etc. I really only pick out the large stuff before the rest goes on the garden. I figure those small pieces will continue to decompose when spread on the garden which they do. I really don't mind the look of slightly lumpy compost. Plus - as I said - I'm impatient. I want to fill the bins up with more material as fast as possible.

So what do you do? Any Martha-types out there to shame me further???

Kevin

Comments (14)