SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sea_dragon

What would you plant here?

sea_dragon
15 years ago

Hi guys,

Hoping to get your opinions on a good small tree for planting near a patio. Please see my photos below. Sorry for the night shots, but they clearly show the trees in question. The 2 deciduous trees in each pic is a Chanticleer Pear (closest to the house) and a Schubert Chokecherry. I just removed both trees this past weekend.

The Chokecherry had Black Knot on it and I realized that a lot of trees in my area have it, so I got rid of it. After reading the reviews on pear trees here, I "donated" my pear tree to my parents on their 2 acre lot and I planted it for them near the back of the property where it will be of no harm but can still be seen. As you can see from the pics below, the pear was planted near my house and after reading about the possible problems with breakage, I decided to take a loss on it now as opposed to 10 years from now if it were to crash through my windows.

So, both trees are gone. Now I'd like to replace them.

What would be good replacements for them? I'm looking for more ornamental type tree rather than a big shade tree. Something on the smaller size I would imagine about 15 to 20 feet height max. But more importantly, I'd like the trees to be of good quality and reputation. The goal is a tree that would provide a bit of shade and canopy over part of the patio. I'm trying to create a courtyard effect with my patio in the center and surrounded by trees/shrubs for privacy, shade and beauty.

I'll take some better pics during the day this coming weekend.

Thanks for your advice!

{{gwi:340140}}

{{gwi:340143}}

{{gwi:340147}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!