SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

quick damage report on UDel arboretum

davidrt28 (zone 7)
10 years ago

I could post a few pics, but my cheapo smartphone's camera is so bad it hardly seems worth it. They hit 3F though I suspect were overall a little milder than my garden because of a miniscule heat island of the university, and the fact that many of the plants have protection of large building walls. I'll just do a quick run down:

Daphniphyllum macropodum - their various trees were fine, and are in fact self seeding in and around the walled garden that houses most of the subtropicals. The seedlings are fine!
OTOH D. humile looks a bit injured, confirming the tendancy of nurseries to rate it zone a bit less hardy.

Edgeworthia was already blooming...mine is probably still a week out, which is a month later than usual!

Mahonia gracilipes - looks dead just like mine
other Mahonias mostly of the X media persuasion - some minor burning but ok, as is my F2 X media seedling

Persea palustris - completely undamaged, which makes it all the more tragic they are being killed by a pathogen

Schima argentea - surprised me by still having some green leaves...I'm really looking forward to the X Schimlinia being released.

Prunus laurocerasus, various cultivars...fine

Ilex latifolia - moderate foliar burning, all other hollies including some you might worry about like X koehneana, X aquipernyi, vomitoria, are fine

Quercus virginiana - foliage almost completely burned but twigs probably ok

Quercus mysinifolia - totally undamaged, confirming how much hardier it is

Cleyera of commerce...fine...even less than the minor burning on mine, but it was protected from morning sun unlike mine

Magnolia yuyuanensis - mostly ok; some other rare Magnolias that were harder to find name tags on were more damaged, like a 'figo'

Magnolia 'Little Gem' (not labelled but I am almost sure) - quite burned, my 'Kay Parris' is almost completely undamaged and is obviously hardier

I'm sure I'm forgetting something...I was in a hurry and got sick of unlocking my phone to take pictures...might think of something else later. Oh one more thing, as is the case at the NCSU arboretum, the dry bed of desert plants mostly looked great, which is interesting considering how we had so much cold combined with snow.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 7:26

Comments (29)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH