SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iahawkz4

ID help (pics) and pruning question

iahawkz4
11 years ago

Hello, this is my first post to the Rose forum! I am pretty new to this (caring for roses, although I've grown them for a few years!).

I'd love to be able to ID my roses in front of my porch. I planted these about 6 years ago...they are very hardy shrub roses that bloom all summer long without me touching them. I'm in Z5, Eastern Iowa. They came from a local nursery in town. I'll include a large view and some close ups, if those help.

{{gwi:273074}}

{{gwi:273075}}

{{gwi:273076}}

My other question is about pruning. Like many areas we had a very warm winter and I never pruned these in the spring, other than cutting out about 3 dead canes - everything stayed green. I thought, what the heck, I'll let them go and see what happens?

Now I understand why they should be pruned...they are very leggy with lots of thin, weaker stems. Each rose bush (there are 3 of these) must have 20 canes splitting off into many more and they're starting to droop. The lower 2 feet also have no leaves. They look great from a distance but pretty weak up close.

Once we ID these roses, is it OK to just shear a foot off all of them with hedge trimmers? Is a delicate pruning with my Felcos in order? I'm open to all suggestions.

thanks, this is a great place to learn about roses!

Comments (5)