SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Can. Hemlock substitute for shade

poaky1
12 years ago

I have had bad luck with Canadian Hemlock in my yard. I know about the Wooly Adelgid that has afflicted lots of them. I have never seen them on any of the hemlock I've planted. Usually I plant a nice green hemlock and before too long ( couple weeks) I have an anemic yellow hemlock that never grows and looses every needle and croaks. My soil is just a tad bit acidic, pretty close to neutral, around 6.7. Rhodies and azaleas like it fine. Peeps on the soil forum have had success on more alkaline soil than I have. I am afraid to do too much tinkering with my soil and make all the other things in it off kilter. So anyhoo, I need a suggestion of either something to try with soil that isn't too dramatic. I want to get iron and try it but there was no shortage of it in my last soil test. And finally, is there another type of Hemlock that has no disease problems and would be a good substitute. I think there is a Carolina Hemlock and a west coast native hemlock. I want to put it in an area that will be shaded as my oaks grow bigger. Maybe by then they'll have solved the adelgid thing!

Comments (9)