SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialkay_gw

Battery Powered Tools

specialkay
17 years ago

I just recently rebuilt my chimmney chase with cedar siding because it all rotted away from a water issue. Now that I am done with that project there is a few places here and there where I need to replace the siding on my house. I need a saw to cut the siding and make the corner cuts. Most of these are ladder or roof access where a cord would be in the way and the wieght of a cordered saw would be too much. My reciprocating saw just does not make accurate enough cuts for this job. I currently have a Dewalt 3/8 drive 18 Volt drill, a 7.2 Volt Dewalt Power Screwdriver that both use the same charger. I also have a 12 Volt Craftsman which is on its last legs. (The Dewalt 7.2 Power Screwdriver is a dream compared to the old 12 Volt Craftsman.)

What I would like is a portable battery powered saw. I would prefer to buy a Dewalt saw without the battery and charger that way I can avoid another charger system. But that set up is rare and the saw with a charger and battery is $200. I have looked at Dewalt (buying a newer 18 Volt set is an idea but all I would really want is a bigger Drill and a Circular Saw, I am not really interested in all the other stuff.) I have looked at the Ryobi (inexpensive but questionable, but they do have a nice set with a Drill and saw and two batterys at Home Deport for $59.99), Rigid (a bit better quality but more expensive, Home Depot has a Rigid Drill and Saw set for $137.99 but I think it only has one battery), Black&Decker (looks cheap), Hitachi (nice but expensive), Porter Cable (I have their corded saw and love it but have not seen their drills or battery saws in any store near me), Makita (looks nice but I would prefer their small one with the 3 or 4 inch blade but it is hard to find), Millwaukee (looks great but has a price to match).

Craftsman (inexpensive and comparable to Ryobi).

There are other cheaper brands here and there that look like they may last the length of the project but I do not buy tools like that.

Any ideas out there. I am willing to buy into a new battery system but I want it to be worthwhile. I do not one to buy a bunch of tools that I will not use. I just thought that the board would be better at this than asking the goobers at the Box Store who do not have a clue.

Comments (5)