SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Today's Latin Lesson: Calling All GW Linnaeuses!!

arbo_retum
15 years ago

thought some of you might enjoy this. i rcvd the below as an email from sunfarm.com; sunshine farm and gardens. I thought the canadense info was the best part. Hey linnaeus

monikers; Take note!!

"Good morning, children. It's time for todays Latin lesson.

Well actually, although most botanical nomenclature is in the beautiful language of Latin, there is much in Greek and other languages. So to be correct, we should refer to a plant name as its "Scientific Name".

The flavor of the day today is Maianthemum canadense, a plant that rocks my world every spring. If you break down the genus name, "Mai" refers to the month of May, (duh), the time that this woodland beauty flowers with its soft sprays of creamy white flowers and, of course, "anthemum" means flower. So there ya go, and that brings us to its common names, "May Flower", "Canada Mayflower" and "False Lily of the Valley". Common names can be so charming, don't you agree?

By the way, although the specific epithet is canadense, that doesn't mean it is native only to Canada. During the time of Carl Linnaeus, the father of modern taxonomy, 1707-1778, there was no United States and this whole part of the world was referred to as Canada. Consequently, plants like Asarum canadense, Aquilegia canadense etc were given the specific epithet of canadense to describe the region of the world that they inhabited.

Although Maianthemum canadense is native to 27 mostly northern states and every province of Canada, see http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MACA4 Maianthemum canadense also grows well in the south and west if provided full shade. Soooooo I guess that justa bout covers every state in the mainland US and I'd venture to say they'd probably grow well in Alaska also. Hawaii ??, I don't know.

Maianthemum canadense is one of my all-time favorite native groundcovers. It forms a dense mat of glossy green foliage that emerges through the leaf litter in my garden very early in the spring. Even after the long flowering period, the foliage is persistent the growing season long. Maianthemum canadense spreads by underground runners (stolons) to quickly form a natural colony. I would never consider it invasive or even aggressive."

Comments (9)