SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twigfarm

Please help out a newbie with Lavender...........

twigfarm
15 years ago

Hi folks!

I'm a relative newcomer to gardening and, of course, to this forum and have a lot of questions.

Early last fall I cleared a raised bed that was overgrown with myrtle and other various grasses & weeds and planted some lavender, anise hyssop, russian sage & cat mint. The spot gets about 4-5 hours of mid-day sun.

I planted 2 small Munstead Lavenders. One was pretty young with no wood about 5-6" high and the other seemed older with a fair amount of wood about 8-9" high.

It's now June 19th and the younger seems happy and thich but not much taller than when originally planted last fall and definitely has no signs of buds.

The other has new growth on the old wood only, is not much bigger than when originally planted, actually shorter because it has "split", looks straggly and has very few buds or flowers.

Is there anything I can do to help these along? Will they benefit from Holly-Tone? Should I cut back the one that split & if so, how much? Should I mention that here in CT we've had a very rainy late spring?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments (4)