SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajfjc

John Deere x520 or x720?

ajfjc
15 years ago

I own 8 acres and currently mow 3 acres. I could mow an additional 1 acre but have not done so to save time and wear on my Sears tractor (it's slow). I currently own a Sears 20hp Kohler, 48" mower deck, 44" 2-stage snow thrower. I've had this Sears for 7 years, and it's held up as well as I could have hoped when I purchased it (went for a "cheap" tractor when I had the house built since all my $ went into the house). The Sears is undersized for my property - the engine is reliable, but I can't roll the lawn in the spring (can't make it up the hills) or pull top soil in a cart (for the same reason). The Sears also chews up belts on both the mower and snow thrower at least every other year. I'm on a hill, so nothing is completely flat. And there is are several steep areas and hard angles to mow. I also have a 140' driveway that I plow in winter, 20' wide at the street then growing to 40' wide at the 3-car garage at the house.

So, I'm looking at an x520 with 54" mower deck and 2-stage snow thrower and an x720 with 54" mower deck and blade to push snow. I don't think the x520 can push the upstate NY snow with a blade. The x720 configuration with blade is about $3K more than the x520 with 2-stage snow thrower. My primary uses will be mowing and snow removal, but I'll roll the lawn once each spring and occasionally move some top soil and/or other material.

I'd like to buy one more tractor for the next 20 years (I have 3 boys ages 4, 6, and 8 who I someday hope to turn into a grounds crew!). My gut says the x520 will suffice, but the x720 will do what I need for sure. I drove both at the JD dealer 3 miles from my house, the x720 didn't blink at the steep hill I drove it on and was very comfortable. The x520 did OK on the hill but I could hear it work a little, and the seat was less comfortable (guess I could just buy a better seat). Kubota is the only other option in my area, but the JD dealer/operation seems better to me.

I'd like to just buy the x720 and be sure and (mostly) avoid belts, but $3K is a lot of money. Advice? Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

Sponsored