SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patricknyc

John Deere 425 blown head gasket?

patricknyc
13 years ago

My organization owns a JD 425 tractor which has run incredibly well with a few hickups over the past 11 years for about 1400 hours. This spring I noticed a slight tiny rattle at full throttle that would go away when PTO was on or throttle cut back. I grade clay tennis courts for a living and need a lot of power from my machine and I had absolutely no loss of power over 11 years. Now, last week I was mowing and the tiny rattle suddenly got much louder. I shut down mower, raised and lowered throttle and everything was fine, still ran great, but sounded weird. I wanted to finish the lawn so I started mowing again, power still great, cutting turf great. After about 2-5 minutes I notice temp gauge up above red, so I shut of PTO and shut down engine even though it was still running well (air filter and radiater screen and fins are clear and clean, oil level fine). After raising hood, I notice a little coolant on the front engine block. After cool down, engine turns over with compression, but doesn't fire and sounds odd. Okay, time to call the JD dealer.

Now the problem begins because in New York City (I'm a former MO farm boy) the JD dealers stink. When the tractor was picked up, it turned over with compression the first try (but wouldn't start) but on the second and third try just spun with no compression. Dealer now tells me water is in the engine and I need a whole new engine because I didn't maintain it. Not true as I put a tune up kit in it every year with new oil, filters, etc, and the engine ran with great power until the day it died. I believe this dealer has scammed me before--installed a new motherboard at 500 hours (I've heard motherboards rarely fail). Anyway, here's my question: is this a blown head gasket, and if so, would I need a whole new engine when it ran fantastic and did everything I asked it to until I shut it down?

I just need enough info to know this dealer is not BSing me. The engine was well maintained, in great shape, and I have the work to prove it.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions