SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arceeguy

Want to buy a riding mower with a hydrostatic tranny

arceeguy
12 years ago

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2002 Sears LT1000 to a nicer model. While the LT1000 has been good to me, with zero repairs - I recently borrowed a Sears LT2000 with a hydrostatic tranny and electric PTO, and I was hooked. The engine (a Briggs Twin), was smoother than the Kohler Command single in my mower and the hydrostatic trans cut my mowing time and effort considerably.

My yard is about 3/4 acre, flat but a bit bumpy in the back yard. I'm reading horror stories about the hydrostatic transmissions in the equipment in my price range. (less than $3000)

My current piece of equipment has about 750 hours on it, and the old school (and cheap) 5 speed transaxle has been reliable even though I don't stop to shift into higher gears. I just kind of step on the clutch a little and move the shift lever and it'll "pop" right into the next gear with a little bit of a jerk. (Hey, it beats stopping) I do have to stop to shift to a lower gear because it really doesn't like being "power shifted" to a lower gear.

I have a tow behind aerator that I drag around a couple of times a year with about 120 lbs of weight on it - but otherwise, that's it. No plowing, or towing anything heavy.

So do you guys think a "light duty" lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive will survive for 10 years of cutting grass and sucking up leaves? All of the complaints on the web about these things failing is getting me concerned. And it seems they all use the same transaxle made by tuff torq. Heck even the Deere X300 uses this transaxle, and that model is out of my price range!

I checked out craigslist and was looking for light duty lawn tractors with bad hydrostatic transaxles for sale and only found one in my area. I'm guessing if these things are so bad, I would have found quite a few for sale. There are a lot of running models of various brands for sale though. (maybe they have bad trannies as they tend to run good until warmed up - who knows)

Are there millions of people out there that don't have any trouble or are there millions of people that are scrapping their mowers after a few years? (and not putting them on craigslist) What say you?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored