SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikesj

c.u.t. or atv or something else? need advice

mikesj
16 years ago

I'm in great need of advice.

My problem: I have about 5 acres of pasture and around 1.5 of yard. I am currently "leasing" (for a dollar a year) the pasture to my horse-owning neighbor, but it looks like that might be ending soon, so I am in need of a machine that can help me maintain my land. I also live in an area where I need some snow clearing capability (I live at the end of a 1/4 mile lane).

I currently am using an 80's Bolens to mow my yard and to plow snow in the winter. It's a great machine- I'm going into my 4th summer with it. I also have a single stage snow blower for the front, but the plow generally handles everything I need it to handle.

I also have a 1920's farmhouse in mid-rennovation, so I don't have a lot of dough to sink into this.

Here's my options as I see them:

1) Pay my wife's cousin to brush hog the field once or twice a year. Plus- nothing to buy. Minus- no toys and have to depend on someone else. This is my least favorite option.

2) Get an atv and a tow behind mower. Plus- part of my land is pretty steep and I don't think I'd tackle it with a tractor. And I get a new toy. Also, I figure I could find a used ATV for a reasonable price. Minus- I'm not sure how well this would work. I'd need to get a snowplow and I'd probably want to get a few gardening attachments for it, too.

3) Try to find a used 4wd cut or larger garden tractor. Plus- I'm comfortable with a smaller tractor, but I would want something with ROPS. Minus- maintenance on something used, no warranty. And I still think an atv would be a better option for some of the hills I'll be mowing.

4) Bite the bullet and go for a new c.u.t. Plus- warranty. Minus- cost. Most likely not a real option. (I do have a Tym dealer up the road- any thoughts on that?)

5) Get a decent walk behind mower. Plus- I can spend more time outside getting exercise that I need, enjoy my land, and not kill myself if I roll it. Also, this wouldn't break the bank. Minus- a lot of work and time.

I know these are big questions, but I've found this forum to be a great source of insight and I'd love to hear what has worked for anyone else in a similar situation.

Many thanks!

Mike

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions