SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chervena_chuska

High pH in lasagna bed - advice?

13 years ago

Hi all,

I have a home pH meter and last year my beds tested between 7-8, looked like right in the middle. This year they are way above 8.

Some background:

These are 3 year old lasagna beds that are about 4 x 12.

The first couple years, I used coir, compost, leaves, straw and alfalfa topped with worm castings and potting soil. That is about the first 12 inches of soil now.

Last year we built 2 foot tall raised bed frames. I had a free source of horse manure well aged (6 months to 9 months) from horses with woodchip bedding. In an effort to cheaply fill up the last 12 inches of my beds, last fall I used this compost horse manure-woodchips in alternating layers with alfalfa, straw, leaves and worm castings. During this layering I mixed in rock phosphate and green sand. This ended up being about another 8 inches on top of the 12 already there.

This spring I topped them off with a bit more manure-woodchips, leaves, alfalfa, coir, some compost, castings and potting soil on top. The worms are absolutely huge and plentiful in there.

I should have checked before doing anything in the spring, but I forgot, and now that I checked my pH, it seems off the charts high. My meter only goes up to 8 but the pointer is on the extreme left, indicating it might be higher that 8.

Now I don't know what to do. I feel like I keep finding conflicting info. I wondered if the woodchips might be the problem (they are pretty broken down) but then I read most wood products are acidic.

Any ideas on what to do?

I know a soil test would be best, but those take a month to get back, plus I worry that with my lasagna bed "composting" as it sits there, the results might be off anyway by the time I get them back. I have a home kit for pH, N, P, and K that I could use to double check my meter results.

Seems like adding sulfur will take too long to help this growing season (just planted tomatoes). Should I do that for the long run?

Should I add peat moss and sulfur to the top few inches and water heavily and hope for the best? I usually water through soaker hoses but I could try the vinegar approach for a while.

All the recommendations seem to be "add compost" but my lasagna beds are already mostly compost. When I've called my county extension, they mostly weren't familiar with lasagna style gardening anyway so I'm not sure that will help.

Help! I don't want tasteless tomatoes!

Thanks for advice!

Amy

Comments (6)