SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gksipps

Black 'balls', white 'cotton' and two-toned ant-like critters - w

gksipps
15 years ago

We were doing some spring cleaning today now that it has warmed up, and one of our Cleveland Pears had some bark that was peeling away. In fact, quite a bit. I peeled off what wasn't attached and found three separate oddities on the underside of the bark.

First, some of the bark had a white cottony substance on the underside. It was about a quarter in size or more, in three places. Also, on some of it looked like a little dirt had been sprinkled on top of it. On another piece of bark, it just looked like there was dirt sprinkled on it. I did not check to see if the dirt was loose or attached.

Second, one had shiny black balls. The balls are smaller than a BB - maybe the size of a medium ball point pen ball, there were 20 or so in a flat cluster (they were not on top of each other, but were all touching in a circular cluster).

On the last one, there were ant-like creatures. They were two-toned, seemed to have a red front and a black rear end. I have pictures of all if anyone would like to see to confirm.

What is the matter with this tree and what do I need to do?

Many thanks,

Karen

Comments (2)