SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hortster

Discussion for knowledgeable arborists

hortster
12 years ago

Hey, folks. brandon7's post on "Liquid Copper Fungicide" has keyed thoughts on an experiment of mine. First, I am a "Shigo" guy. No, not everything he (or anyone else) says is 100% correct. For those of you that have read "A New Tree Biology" by Shigo, I question chapter 41, Wound Dressings. Too long to repeat here.

I agree with the majority of the concept, that products that seal the wound often promote pathogen growth and increase.

He also makes the statement that in his own experiments "Some other materials were used because they kept the cambium moist, or helped to dry the wound surface, or to stimulate callus formation, or to keep insects out that carried pathogens, or to keep everything out but to let the wound 'breathe.'"

If there was a common product that didn't keep the cambium moist, didn't stimulate callus formation, kept insects out, and let the wound breathe, wouldn't that be a boon?

For years I had to deal with commercial customers that just absolutely had to have a "medicine" to treat a tree wound on a fresh cut. Some would simply not accept "nothing."

When treating my garden tool handles one fall with boiled linseed oil, a thought occurred to me - this is an organic and protective product, what if it would satiate the customer's need to "goop" something onto the wound? So, for the last 10 years, I have done so on my own trees. A day after pruning I painted the dried cuts with boiled linseed oil.

The result is this: it lets the wound breathe, prevents excessive moisture penetration, there has been no prevention of callus formation, no insect penetration of any wound and there has been no apparent rot or fungal activity on ANY wound on any tree.

This has been applied to various oaks, maples, redbud, baldcypress, crabapple, lacebark elm, river birch, magnolia, white ash and dogwood. All wounds from trimming have healed quickly and well.

As a point of discussion, what thinkest thou?

Comments (11)