SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_2008

Downy Mildew... follow up...

jay_2008
15 years ago

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who took the time to offer their advice. It's kinda hard to go back with all of these posts without going stir crazy and name everyone specifically so thank you again everyone. :o)

Aliette and Stature are my answer. Thank you kayli-gardener,Ceterum and Michael(newjerseyrose)-for the link. I also 100% agree with you rose_marek since these are all new pottings as of Mid Winter.

This would never have gotten so out of control if I only knew 2 months ago I was dealing with Downy Mildew and not blackspot.

One more question though... the Mancozeb is way more economical for me... will that control a current case of downy mildew or is it just a preventive? I am aware it does kill blackspot spores but what about downy mildew?

Since it is so early in the season here in the PNW I defoliated all 16 bushes yesterday. It just seemed like it would be better for the plant to use it's energy on new growth that is protected rather than the stress to the plant having to deal with diseased leaves. I swear that each time I checked them today even though they all are defoliated now... that they just looked and felt healthier to me. Crazy eh?... but I really feel it. :o) No different than when I felt they were coming down with something days before the symptoms were actually visable. Actully it seemed like it was hours... Is this actually true with what I am learning about rose gardening? Something just doesn't look/feel right on one of those numerous daily visits into the garden and hours later they have a fungus or pest problem that wasn't as clearly visable earlier.

I also pruned back a few canes that seemed to have damage when I defoliated on Monday. I was only able to find a product at Lowes called Garden Dust by a company called BONIDE. The directions said that it could be mixed with water and made into a spray so I did that. The active chemical is 7% Copper Sulphate. It was the only product they had that contained copper and also the only product that actually said on the label that it could be used for downy mildew. However the label is not that clear and does not state whether it is a preventative aid or curative... or both. Any thoughts on this from anyone? Until I find out if Mancozeb will work(since it's more economical) or get a hold of Aliette or Stature this weekend I am hoping the spray I did this morning with the product by BONIDE will help. Joebar you are in my area also and said that a copper spray worked for you so I am keeping my fingers crossed this one I have is good enough until the weekend. It only cost $6.97 at Lowes which has me question it's effectiveness... who knows... maybe I just got a good deal and it's all that I will need. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks again to everyone who took the time out of their day to help me with this... it's sincerely appreciated.

Jay

Comment (1)