SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimma406

Craftsman will not run own its own power

jimma406
14 years ago

Hey Guys, I've been reading this forum for a while now, and fixing up a Craftsman 917.272960 GT 20hp Kohler that was given to me. The owner said among other problems, that the tractor would not charge itself. I fixed all the other problems, (thanks to this forum), but I still have the charging issues. I got a new battery and the tractor ran fine for two mowings. Then when I went to start it, I got nothing. The solenoid and ignition key looked old so I replaced them. I checked all the wires and took off the ground on the frame and cleaned it up. I replaced the spark plugs and 30amp fuse while I was at it. I then hooked up one of those jumper boxes and the engine started right up. It sounds like its running fine. Not clunking or backfiring. I let the engine run for about 10min, then took the cables from the jumper box off. The engine ran for about 30 seconds, then died. I then tried it again, same deal. I ran it full throttle per other posts advice. I checked the wires again and reviewed the manual wiring schema. I discounted the two wires from the PTO and ran it for another 10 min, same results, discount the jumper box and it dies. I took apart the PTO switch on the dash, cleaned the connections and tried again, same deal.

1.I mainly want to know, which wire supplies power to recharge the battery so I can test it. I donÂt have ampmeter with a read out of amps , but I do have a meter that tells me if power is flowing or not.

2. Also the dash has a meter on it, Ive seen it move a little bit below zero while the PTO engages, but have never seen it go above zero. When these tractors are functioning normal and started should I see a reading on the upper side of 10.?

3. Any tips and tricks of anything else I could rule out?

Thanks

Jim

Comments (8)

Sponsored