SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick_il

Briggs & Stratton 42A777-1270-01 Not Starting

Rick_IL
10 years ago

I have a Briggs & Stratton 42A777-1270-01 on a Lawn Man lawn tractor. I received it used, as a gift and spent the winter cleaning it up and giving it a complete overhaul.

To date I have replaced:
1) Starter
2) Start Solenoid
3) Ignition Switch
4) Magneto
5) Battery
6) Carburetor overhaul kit
7) Plugs

After the overhaul I could turn it over but not start it. After reading a pile of forums on this and other sites I came to the conclusion that the magneto (purchased straight from B&S was faulty). I purchased a second one and after installing (yes I set the gap) it started up straight away and ran better than it has since I received it...for about an hour. I had to run it at partial choke but aside from that it seemed to be performing well. During that run (under load) it throttled back momentarily but came back up without me adjusting anything. Suddenly, on flat ground, it shut off like I had turned off the switch.

Now it will not start. It is getting plenty of gas but I did notice that there wasn't much charge on the battery as I could only crank it a few times before the battery dropped. The original owner used to have a problem with it stopping when hot (needing cool down to run again) but it is now hours after and I still can't get it to fire up.

Is it possible to short out (damage) the magneto? It seems rather suspect that the first replacement and then this one may seem faulty.

Any ideas?

Rick in Illinois

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions