SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

I've got a yucky mess.

shadygarden_CO
14 years ago

Last winter (07-08) I composted in my garage in a trash can with holes in it, sides and bottom, which turned out fine, but since there was some leakage on the floor, this last winter (08-09), I used a trash can in the garage that had no holes. Big mistake. Well, today I decided to move the trash can to my backyard where I have a Smith and Hawkins square, black bin that I have been using in the summertime for composting. To make a long (and smelly) story short, when I started shoveling the stuff out of it, I discovered that at the bottom was this horrible, slimy, very smelly gunk. But I managed to get it all in the black bin and added a lot of dried leaves (that I had saved from last fall).

Well, yesterday my backyard smelled like lilacs, but now my whole backyard smells like this awful gunk. I left the lid off, hoping air getting to it would help. I realize there must be anaerobic bacteria at work.

My question is, will it eventually turn into compost, and what should I do to help it? I also have a tumbler composter that is empty now. The black bin is made of layers that stack on top of one another, and there is one square beside the other three that is empty. Should I try to turn it, or just shovel it all into the empty square, which I guess would be a good turning?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Marlene

Comments (7)