SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdchambe

Help me pick/place a few more trees

mdchambe
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Last fall I asked for some advise and picked up/planted some trees at my family's new house. I want to go ahead and get a few more this spring so thought I would ask for your thoughts on placement and varieties.

I've included two scans of my property below. A few notes with regard to placement:

- We are kind of trying to maintain an open area in front of the house so it can be seen from the road.

- We are trying to keep directly to the right of the house open for a possible addition/building.

- Along the right side we need to try to maintain the ability for the LP truck to get in their and get us fuel. Also, we aren't planting much in back to maintain the view of the timber back behind us.

- The left property line has good water available. Last year even in drought the grass stayed beautiful all year. No standing water or anything though.

Anyway, we are thinking of putting a few more conifers out front to the left of the driveway (from the top, so on the red maple side). Given the lack of conifers that do well in Iowa we were thinking maybe two white pines and a concolor fir

Other trees that I am currently thinking of include:

Buckeye - Autumn Splendor.
Paperbark Maple
Ginkgo - Autumn Gold
Black gum
Willow - not sure what type. It's my 4 year old's favorite tree or it wouldnt be making the list.

I was thinking the Buckeye and Willow could go along the left property line as I think they would like the moisture. I'd like to have the buckeye out front (it stays smaller) and the willow in back. Just need to make sure to keep it away from the septic system.

Not sure where to put the Ginkgo, Blackgum, and Paperbark Maple.

Anyway, all thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I know we've primarily selected larger trees but I guess that's what my wife and i must like. We may fill in at some point with some serviceberry type trees.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths